Chapter 3 - Central Park

TW for SA
Do NOT read any further if you are triggered by rape

Or simply skip to the next chapter❤️ x
——————————————————————

The fresh air hits my face and tears sting my cheeks. I don't know why I am upset so much by what Nik said, I hardly know him but his cruel words physically hurt me. I run down the steps to the street and stop as I take a deep breath, the cool summer air entering my lungs helping me calm down. I allow my shoulders to relax relieving the tension building up in my body.

I turn to walk down the street, thinking about what just happened. He used me to hurt his brother. I didn't understand at first why Elijah had forbidden him to speak to me but recalling the harrowing shift in Nik's demeanour and the way I was thrown to the side while he threatened me, I decide it was probably for the best that Elijah found us sooner rather than later. I don't want to ever see that obnoxious man again.

Managing to get my tears under control, I turn another corner and head to the City Park. I didn't get a chance to see it yesterday because I arrived later than I had planned as my flight from San Francisco International was delayed. I suppose now is a good a time as any. A couple of people rush past me, taking no notice of my distressed appearance to my great relief. Luckily the sun is still up am I am grateful for the warmth it provides at it hits my back although I am aware it will be short lived as the sun is setting over trees rapidly.

Taking in the greenery I allow a sense of peace to wash through me. Sitting down on an empty bench I watch the ducks swim in the murky water a few metres away from me. I envy their freedom and simple life. Choosing to study medicine has always been my goal for as long as I can remember but I wonder what my life would have been like had I chosen a more artistic route. I certainly wouldn't be in the situation I am in now, hiding from Elijah, Maeve and Nik if I had chosen differently all those years ago. Sometimes I feel stuck and overwhelmed with my studies and wish I had applied for Fine Art instead but deep down I know I wouldn't magically have a perfect life. Not that I'm unhappy now, I just find it stressful. Besides I do love the atmosphere of a hospital and have thrived in every one of my placements.

I find myself thinking of Nik and Elijah yet again. I don't understand much of their conversation and wonder who their mate is that Elijah is hiding from Nik. A mutual friend perhaps? The original source of their dispute? Why would Elijah have to hide someone and why did it make Nik so angry? Questions swirl around my mind but I don't have the answers to any of them.

Nik's proclamation of their heinous crimes rattles me. I don't want to take him literally as that would be absurd but I would be stupid not to have my guard up and dismiss what I had overheard. I never questioned the Mikaelsons' business before as I had no reason to since Elijah was a gentleman and I assumed Maeve knew a little about his actual job. But she is exceptionally sweet and can be very naïve sometimes so maybe it didn't occur to her to ask. The possibility of them being involved in shady business deals wasn't entirely ludicrous after what I heard tonight but it had never crossed my mind before now. However it seemed like a stretch to call shady business deals heinous. I mean it couldn't be as bad as that could it?

The Mikaelsons are an incredibly well-off family, that much is clear but neither Maeve nor I had ever discussed how they accumulated such wealth. I feel stupid not knowing anything about the family my best friend has just married into. Feeling a slight worry for Maeve I decide to share my concerns about her new brother Nik when we next catch up whilst leaving out the details as to not scare her. I doubt she knows much, if anything, about her husband hiding one of their friends from Nik either so I won't bother asking. Besides I wasn't supposed to be eavesdropping. And I know Elijah won't be pleased if he finds out.