Chapter 23 - Marital arguments

I finally see Elijah around midday as Nik insists on getting up to make a sandwich for lunch since I missed breakfast as we were asleep. Elijah politely greets me and it's nice to see him again. I don't mention anything about Maeve or Celeste, it's not my place and I'm not sure he would appreciate it. He tells me how Celeste has finally taken control of the witches in the French Quarter due to his help and that he's glad he has a powerful witch as an ally.

When Maeve enters she seems hesitant to approach him. He must see her but hasn't acknowledged her yet so I decide to.

"Hey Maeve, it's good to see you. Elijah was just telling me how Celeste is now head of the witches," I try to bring her into the conversation.

"Great," she smiles. "You can spend more time with me Elijah, now that's all done. Let's have dinner together?"

"No Maeve, Celeste still needs my help," Elijah responds. I look between them assessing the situation before deciding to stay quiet for the moment. Maybe it was a mistake for me to bring up Celeste and the witches.

"What more does she want from you? You've given her everything she's asked for," my best friend shoots back indignantly.

"My promise to help her doesn't just end now she controls the witches in this city. I will help her when she requires it."

"Why not Elijah? You've helped her enough, you don't need to go out of your way to continue to do so. You know I don't like her."

"You should try and get on with her Maeve. She's not said anything bad about you. You're the one that's refusing to speak more than a few words to her since you learnt who she is, I don't know why it bothers you. You got on well beforehand."

"It bothers me because you spend more time with your old lover than with your mate."

"No I don't, you're my wife don't be ridiculous," he denies shaking his head in disbelief. I focus on making my lunch staying as quiet as possible. It's such an uncomfortable situation, I feel like I'm intruding by overhearing their argument.

"I don't know how you can't see it Elijah. Have I done something wrong? Have I upset you?" Maeve asks him wondering if it's all her fault.

"Yes, you're repeatedly nagging me about Celeste when there is nothing going on," he refuses to accept her point. 

"Elijah I'm not stupid, I saw you kiss her," Maeve finally reveals. "How could you betray me like that?"

"You shouldn't have been snooping then," is all he says. "Don't blame me for your hurt feelings at what you shouldn't have seen."

My mouth drops open and I question if I ever really knew Elijah at all. He's never acted like this before, it's shocking. No apology. Nothing. I can't imagine how Maeve is feeling right now. How can Elijah speak to his mate this way?

"You're blaming me?" Maeve whispers hurt by his words. I debate leaving the kitchen to allow them to discuss this but if I walk out now Maeve will definitely feel abandoned and alone. By both me and her husband. I glance over at her and see she is crying. I leave my sandwich on the side, I wasn't hungry anyway, and walk over to the arguing couple.

"Elijah what has gotten into you? How is it your wife's fault she caught you cheating? How could you cheat on your mate in the first place?" I demand seeing that Maeve needs someone to stand up for her. As sweet as she is, she's terrible during arguments with people she loves.

"Maybe my mother made a mistake pairing us as mates. It wouldn't be the first time. Why would I trust Esther when she's only ever caused harm to my family since we turned. I can choose for myself who I want to be with," he says implying he would rather be with Celeste. I'm utterly appalled at his words, this isn't the Elijah I know. He would never do anything to hurt his wife, he's always cherished and doted on her. What has happened?

"Unfortunately for you dear husband I am your mate and not Celeste. I'm sorry that is so repulsive to you. Why don't you go and be with her instead if you love her so much more than me," Maeve says before striding out of the room.

Elijah doesn't even look remorseful as I run past him to follow her. I can't believe what I've just witnessed. I'm so glad I'm here with Maeve right now, I didn't realise how bad things were for her.

"Go and talk some sense into your brother," I snap at Nik as I see him. "He's just told Maeve your mother made a mistake pairing them as mates." I don't wait to see his reaction, I'm really worried about Maeve right now.

When I knock on her door, the room she shares with Elijah, I find her packing her clothes and toiletries up. Her nose and eyes are red from crying and she doesn't say anything as I stand in the doorway.

"Are you leaving?" I ask her and she shakes her head.

"Just moving to a different room. I'd rather not share with Celeste," she starts crying again and I can't think of anything to ease her broken heart.

"Do you need any help?" She nods and hands me a large pile of clothes. We silently move all her belongings into a room near mine before she sits on the new bed and cries harder. It breaks my heart seeing her in this state.

"He hates me," she says between sharp intakes of breath. "He doesn't want me. My own mate doesn't want me."

I just rub her back gently and murmur reassuring words to her although I doubt that have any impact.

"Just let me die, I want to die. It hurts too much." My heart almost stops at her words causing me to start crying too.

"No no, Maevey don't say that," I plead with her. "You know he loves you, Celeste is manipulating him, he will realise soon enough. I promise you everything will be okay."

If I wasn't hungry for lunch before, I'm certainly not now. I feel sick at her words. I stay with her the whole afternoon but she remains distraught and I hate to see her like this. The one person who can truly help her isn't right now. Elijah is too caught up in Celeste to notice anything wrong with Maeve, either that or he doesn't care but I don't believe that for a second. I know he cares. Something isn't right.

I bring Maeve a bowl of noodles to eat and she doesn't question my lack of appetite at the moment. I'm amazed she isn't too overwhelmed to eat like I am as she devours the bowl in minutes before tucking herself under the covers and finally falling asleep. She is exhausted and I watch her for a while before heading back to my room. I'd better keep an eye on her over the next few days and hope Nik can persuade Elijah to see some sense. I don't know what I can do to help my best friend if he doesn't.

———
Let me know what you think of Elijah's new attitude👀
Ceryn x