Chapter-88: Anirudh Sees A Nightmare

I had a disturbed sleep that night even after spending quality time with Bondita. In fact, I saw a dream where I was being separated from her. It was roughly half past four early in the morning when I woke up breathlessly due to sobbing, in the dream. My eyes automatically fell on Bondita who was peacefully sleeping and felt relieved for the time being. However, my mind was still stuck at the nightmare.

Separation with Bondita is something which I cannot bear anymore. When I was not sure if she would choose me as her life partner or not, I had the strength to distance myself from her. But after realising that both of us cannot live without each other, even a groundless nightmare seemed to be frightening. Still, I had resolved not to share my fears with Bondita and disturb her peace as well.

The first thing we did when the morning became brighter was to tell our real story to Mrs. Kali. She sat on her swing as usual with Laboni seated beside her. Bondita and I stood before her as if we were standing in the witness box of the courtroom and told everything about our escapade or say elopement.

Listening to our story, the old lady calmly stated, "Your identities may be a lie but your truthfulness is still the same. There might be reasons for hiding your identity but your intention was never to cheat me or do anything wrong with anyone. Besides, I was the one to invite you to my house. I think, this should set you free from any guilt."

Bondita and I exchanged happy glances.

"Zamindar babu", the old lady continued, "I bear the same feelings for both of you like on our first meeting. Back then, I felt that I have come across Ram and Sita, and even now I feel the same. Your real identity is not your name but your virtues. However, now I am checking the standards of my hospitality; whether I have taken proper care of the Roy Chowdharies or not."

"You are the best, thakuma.", Bondita and I cried in unison.

"Even my own thakuma never loved me like this.", said Bondita, while I reflected, "I didn't know what a grandma's love feels like until I met you. The last ten days are the best part of my life, for which I would always remain indebted to you. Can we both be your grandchildren?"

"Oh my son, haven't I told you already that I don't see any difference between you two and my Laboni?"

"Then you mustn't call me zamindar babu. Please continue to call me Raja or Anirudh or barrister babu; however you wish."

"And I am always your sweetie pie (Meethi churi) or Rani.", Bondita declared.

"Alright, you will always be the King and Queen for us, who came on an expedition to our land and spread happiness in our lives.", thakuma stated, "By the way, now I got to know why you were always taking the name Bondita."

The grandma and granddaughter duo laughed while Bondita and I blushed. We heaved a sigh of relief on getting freed from the guilt of cheating a noble lady. Our next focus was on our wedding. We informed thakuma about the same and left to temple to talk to the priest.

On the way, Bondita and I shared our happiness about Mrs. Kali's reaction and how kind she is.

"Poor thakuma; she is such a sweetheart. How unkind God has been to snatch her family away from her! In this old age, she has to take the pressure of her granddaughter's wedding all by herself. Moreover, she will be left all alone after Laboni's marriage.", Bondita worriedly observed the state of Mrs. Kali.

"Sakha babu, do you see the reason why our society prefers a boy over a girl? Along with a boy comes his wife, children and the family grows; while girls leave their maternal homes to illuminate another household, leaving behind the poor parents alone."