Chapter- 31: Gifts

(Thanks for the interest that you are showing in this book. Last time when I asked you whether you are still interested in this book or not, you have showered your love by asking me to keep writing. So, I am going to post two chapters together. Make sure to read, vote and comment.)

The next two days went well with Bondita enjoying the trip to the fullest, at least I felt so and we following her. On the last day of the trip, the students of Saint George were taken to a fair where the children spent their time shopping, enjoying the different rides and savouring their favourite eatables. Subbu and I roamed from stall to stall leisurely scanning the items present there, triggering hopes in those poor shopkeepers who expectantly looked for their items to be sold. I understood how tough it is to while away one's time without actually having to do anything.

At a certain stall Subbu decided to invest his money in something or the other and thus we advanced into it. The stall did not dedicate itself to specific items alone, rather hosted a variety of things from fancy items to dolls to idols of Gods and things needed for worship. I curiously watched my friend as he skimmed through the items. He reached out to the glass bangles and picked up the dark green ones. He estimated the size precisely with his fingers, making some vague calculations and finally asked the shopkeeper to pack two sets of those. Then he further went on to buy a silver vermillion container.

My leisure had compelled me to play the role of a nosy friend. I also thought it would be a good chance to tease my friend. Hence, I started off very casually, "Umm..well, I think the next set of names that are going to join the list of world's greatest lovers are of Mr. &Mrs. Subramaniam Iyer. Just look at barrister Iyer who is fondly selecting gifts for his wife!"

As soon as he heard this, he gave me a strange look at first; rather a surprising one and it took me a few minutes to decode what it actually meant. Without troubling me any further he spoke, "I thought barrister Anirudh knew nothing other than logical arguments, reasoning, shouting and fighting the wrongs of the world; but it seems he has another side too. What a miracle! Did I just hear our beloved barrister babu tease me?"

"Wait there! Anirudh Roy Chowdhary too has a lighter side to his character. It's not like he spends his entire life shouting at people. During my college days, you know, I was an exuberant boy who was high in spirits. I was serious yet playful. It was only after I have taken up the task of bringing a change in the thought process of my countrymen that I became very serious. Still, due to Bondita, I am able to keep my joyful nature alive. If not for her, I should have rotten myself in seriousness with all the undesirable and unfortunate circumstances around me.", I explained.

"Good. I am happy that sometimes you are even able to see the world beyond Bondita and Bharati. Otherwise, you are only invested in them day and night.", he commented.

"Just a minute, who is this Bharati?", I asked getting perplexed.

My friend then burst into laughter, while I seriously stared at him.

Not stopping his laugh, he continued, "My grumpy friend is back again. You thought you could tease me but look at yourself now. All that it took is a female name to drain away colours from your face. Just tell me one thing, whom are you preserving this sanctity for?"

"Su..Subbu, what are you saying?", I asked anxiously.

"I am asking if you have already selected someone for whom you are dedicating your loyalty to.", he repeated.

"Your words don't make any sense, Subbu."

"Fine then, seeing your nervousness at the mention of a female name, I thought you have already given your heart to someone. By the way, Bharati is not a woman but mother India and I know how much you love her.", he said, bringing an instant smile on my face.