Chapter-6: Reconciliation

"For God's sake today you don't run away from me, pati babu, please.", she requested with much sorrow in her voice and made me sit on the bed while she stood in front of me.

She is right. All these days, I have been literally running away from her as I didn't have answers to her questions, but now it's high time to face her. I cannot handle this guilt anymore.

I fell on my knees, joined my hands together and pleaded, "Bondita, please forgive me. I swear, I didn't want to hurt you, but my impulsiveness has lead to this whole thing. I know that 'sorry' is a very small word to heal your wounds but I don't have any other words to say. In order to bring you on to the right path, I myself chose the wrong path.", saying so, I burst into crying.

"I can't forgive you, pati babu. Every time you act as per your wish and will not at all think about me. I am not going to talk to you", she complained while sobbing and blew her cheeks all of a sudden.

I wonder how come she doesn't forget to blow her cheeks even in the most serious situation. That's the innocence of children I must say. That's why, if you are around children, you will forget all your pains. I too couldn't help but chuckle in between my sobs, seeing her cute antics.

"Please don't say that Bondita. I won't be able to breathe properly if you don't forgive me. I cannot live with this guilt throughout my life. Moreover I need my old, happy and chirpy Bondita back. Please Bondita....please give your pati babu one more chance to rectify his mistake. If you want you can punish me as well. However, before that let me tell you why I had to do all this with you.", I requested.

I took a deep breath and again continued, "Bondita, when you got diverted from studies and tried out different things to impress me, I got really very scared. I got scared that you may lose your childhood completely. Already, our marriage has destroyed much of your childhood and innocence. In an age when you have to eat well, play, study and sleep, this marriage had caged you and placed huge responsibilities on your delicate shoulders.

You got to take care of a big household, manage many relationships, balance household chores and studies; most importantly you have to meet the society's expectations from a married woman. Unfortunately, I cannot compensate for this loss of your childhood. However there is only one ray of hope amidst all this darkness, that is, education. At least I want to secure your future life by getting you highly educated. Also, with your help, I want to pave the way towards a better future for the women and children of our country. But I know the path I have chosen is wrong ......".

Before I could complete my sentence, she said, "I am not talking about that, pati babu. I said I won't forgive you for what you have done today.".

"What? What did I specially do today, Bondita?", I asked all confused.

"You are very bad pati babu; very bad. Why did you walk on fire? You did not think about me even once before doing such a thing? Last time when you went to help Ms. Manorama in her mission for my school fee and burnt your body, I requested you not to do any such thing which could harm you. I asked you to always place yourself and your safety first, but did you listen? At that time, much to your dislike, on kaka's behest, I agreed to return home with you, only with a hope that you wouldn't put your life at risk if you are with your family. But you are always like this. You don't want to listen to anyone and just do whatever you like.", she remarked while crying badly.

My heart melted at her goodness. This is the reason I call her little goddess. While wiping the tears off her cheeks, I spoke, "Even now you are only bothered about my pain than yours? How come you are so good Bondita? How?" and I burst into tears again.