Chapter-30: MAYURI-THE CAPTIVATED PEACOCK

I picked up a yellow thread with a gold locket that had dropped to the ground from the dancer's neck. For a while I wondered what it could probably be. Then I questioningly looked at my friend's face, showing him the locket and he told that it was a mangalsutra.

"Wow, I must accept that people here are more progressive in terms of women empowerment than us. I am happy that even after marriage her husband is allowing her to pursue a career in the field of her interest. I wish men are like this in our Bengal too. Why only in Bengal, we need such men in every part of the country.", I expressed my happiness.

On hearing my words Subbu chuckled and sarcastically remarked, "Her husband cannot talk or move to oppose her for anything. Sadly, He cannot even come to her rescue when she is in trouble. So, 'progressive' is a false term to associate with her husband."

"I didn't get you, Subbu. Anyway, how do you know about her in the first place?", I questioned, thoroughly perplexed at Subbu's statement.

"I used to visit the dance festival frequently until a couple of years back. Hence I know about the lady and how the society perceives her. Even if I do not visit this festival, I can still tell you that a woman performing in front of huge crowds of strangers in temples is none other than a devdasi.", told Subbu.

"Devdasi? Who is she?", I asked not knowing what this new term meant.

"Devdasi means 'a slave' to God. She is actually the God's wife who is forcibly made a slave to the society.", he replied.

"When God doesn't have a physical form, how can he marry a human being?", I asked confused and enraged at the same time.

"Exactly that's the issue, Anirudh. Young girls from poor families, in their pre puberty are dedicated to temples by their families where they get married to the deities. They are taught music and dance. Thereafter, they are expected to perform in front of the guests whenever they are asked to. Devdasis take care of everything in the temple from cleaning to dressing the Gods."

On hearing this I was extremely shocked. In fact, the word shock would be an understatement to describe what I was feeling at that point. "Can there be such kind of slavery too? Is it for real?", I thought to myself.

Before I could say something, Subbu continued, "This particular practice was started long ago, even before the Mughals entered India. I can say that it started with a good intention of preserving fine arts. South India has the richest temples and immense treasure of fine arts. The South Indian rulers, who were great patrons of music and dance, wanted to keep these arts alive through the people who were willing to offer their arts to God. We can call it "Kalaanjali"- an offering of fine arts, just like geethanjali (an offering of songs) and kavyanjali(an offering of poems). 

During the time of kings, Devdasis were highly respected by everyone and they were protected by the kings. Their financial needs were taken care of by the royal families. All that they have to do was to promote dance and music. In fact, the kings and the people in their kingdoms used to treat them as "Devis (Goddesses)" and were given a high rank in the society. They were invited to weddings to make the mangalsutra of the bride as they were considered to be eternally married, who can never gain widowhood.

However, what started off on a good note took an ugly turn after the advent of Persians and Europeans, who had degraded the status of Devdasis to mere items of entertainment and started exploiting them. They were joined by the upper class so called "noble men", who are given more importance than God in this society. At present the social status of Devdasis is very bad and their situation is nothing less than that of women in brothel. While the women in brothel are looted by every other man, Devdasis are exploited only by the temple heads and other aristocratic men from India as well as England. The girls who are subjected to this practice are mostly from poor families. While some families forcefully sell off their girls to the temples in exchange for money, some are forcefully married off to Gods if they fail to find a suitable groom by fifteen or sixteen years of age."

My hands fisted in rage. Until then, I thought I knew all the problems that women in India were facing but I was wrong. There are different kinds of atrocities happening against women which I cannot even imagine. Now that I have come to know about this, how will I keep quiet?

"I should do something to put an end to this.", I thought.

I was brought out of my thoughts with the words of my friend, "I know what exactly you are thinking about, Anirudh. I assure you that I will extend my full cooperation in whatever you do regarding this matter; but not now. We have come here for Bondita. It will be better if you focus on her for time being."

I nodded before asking, "Is there anyone already fighting on this issue? If yes, then it will be very helpful for us."

"I have heard of a female doctor speaking about this issue. She is the torchbearer of women empowerment in Madras presidency. She is just like how you want to see Bondita in future. I think she can help us or we may become some help to her. We will hear some other names too very soon, as forward thinkers have already started to see this practice as a social evil.", he said smiling.

"That's great. Well, let me ask you, why haven't you done anything when you already know that this is a social evil?", I interrogated.

"Inhibition is the primary reason. Then, I never thought that one person's efforts can really make any difference. I felt that it is the fate of those women and none of us are in a capacity to change it; although I strongly feel to do something for them, rather for all those who are in trouble. However, after seeing you, I learnt a very important lesson that it just takes a little bit of courage to initiate change. All that we need to do is, bring our mind's voice out through our mouth. Hereafter, with the courage that you have instilled in me, I will do all that I can to bring about a change in the society.", confessed Subbu.

I patted my friend's shoulder with pride and happiness.

At that moment, we both heard a female voice and turned to look in the direction. To my surprise, the dancer was standing there looking at me with her hand stretched.

"Can you please return my mangalsutra? I have to leave quickly.", she said.

As I handed over the chain, I complimented, "Madam, your dance echoed divinity and we felt as if the Goddess herself has descended to earth to perform."

She smiled in acknowledgment and slightly nodded her head as a sign of thankfulness.

Then, I ventured to ask her name and "Mayuri" was the reply I got.

"Mayuri- the captivated peacock", I muttered and started to think about the ways of freeing her and many other captivated peacocks like her.

"If Bondita was there with me, she should have shown me some direction knowingly or unknowingly.", I thought, which is when I remembered Bondita and turned my head in all the directions to spot her.

.....................................................................

Precap :  Anirudh buys a gift for Bondita.