Chapter-29: A New Issue To Deal With?

{Note: All incidents in this chapter are fictious.}

After throwing ourselves comfortably in the cottage that we booked, my friend asked me what our plan was for the day. I pulled a paper from one of the pockets of my trousers and read out, "Lunch at 12:30pm followed by a visit to the shore temple." It was a copy of Bondita's tour itinerary that I had printed and secured a copy with me.

The cottage we lodged in was a cozy, well maintained one that gave a good view of the beach road from the large window it owned. Although I couldn't spot Bay of Bengal from there, I heard its roar from a distance. Then I instantly opened my leather suitcase to reach out to the shell that had, "Sakhi" inscribed on it by none other than my sakhi. As I took it into my hands, my conversation with Bondita the previous day had resurfaced.

While I was packing my things in the suitcase, I heard the door of my bedroom being knocked thrice and a soothing voice asking, "May I come in, sakha babu?" Her voice although soothing, didn't provide any solace that time. Instead, I gasped in fear; fear of getting caught. Since it was Bondita on the other end, she wouldn't obviously ignore my suitcase and will not leave me until I answer all her questions convincingly.

"Co..come in, Bondita. You know that you don't have to take permission.", I stuttered, trying hard to smile genuinely but very pleased at the fact that Bondita has matured quite a bit. She had always been an intelligent child who needed minimum training to understand the situations. Ever since we annulled our marriage, she always knocked thrice before entering into my space, though I haven't asked her to do so. I never tried to build barriers between us but somehow she acknowledged the awkwardness of the status of our relationship and behaved accordingly. May be, she knew better than me about how one should behave in this predacious society. The psychological relationship and the emotional attachment that we share are best understood by us than the outside world. So, she had her ways of conducting herself and in this area, she is definitely better than me.

"What are you doing, sakha babu? I hope I didn't disturb you.". This brought me out of my trance. Before I could answer, her eyes fell on the suitcase and she asked narrowing her eyes, "Are you going somewhere?"

"Maha..Mamal...Mysore.", I lied.

"What???". Her eyes went wide. "You are going to the Mysore! Isn't it very far from Madras? Why are you going? When are you going? When will you return? Should ma stay alone in our absence? I will be missing you, etcetera.", she spilled all these questions in one go that I felt like having turned on a water tap.

"Bondita relax. I am going to Mysore regarding a case. It is not that far from Madras, at least not as far as Calcutta. I will return within three days, probably the same day when you will return home. Coming to ma, you don't have to worry because Subbu and his family are there to take care of her. You just enjoy your trip.", I smiled, mentally checking if I had answered all of her questions or not.

"What case is it, sakha babu? How come you didn't tell me?", she asked with one hand on her waist.

I quickly replied, "I didn't get time Bondita. We were busy with your exams and getting yourself ready for the excursion. So, it just slipped away from my mind."

In order to snatch away from her, the opportunity of posing any more questions, I did not give a space for silence. I continued saying, "Bondita, I think you forgot to tell me why you came here. Means, I know that you can freely access this part of the house too. Yet, I am curious to know if there is anything that you need."

"Oh, yes. I totally forgot about that.", she said, gently hitting her forehead with her palm, in the usual dramatic way.

"I have come here to give you this shank (seashell)", and handed over a shell to me. It was the same one that we picked up the last time we went to beach. We picked up two big white shells along with many smaller ones of different colors. She had written, "Sakhi" on the shell with red paint in the most beautiful calligraphic style.