Chapter- 23: Unconfined Love

{Points to be noted before reading this:

1. I don't support child marriage or pedophilia in any way. Whatever written here, is a perspective of a common man of that era, who is not an Anirudh Roy Chowdhary.

2. It was the era of 1920s when there was no particular age to call someone a major.  18 years has been fixed as the age of of becoming an adult only after the concept of universal adult franchise(right to vote) emerged.  I personally know some great grandmas who got married at the age 15-16 after finishing their PUC( equivalent to 10th standard.). So, they also bear children by the age of 17 or so. 

3. Certain alliances written in this chapter may offend some people, but they are ethically, legally right in some parts of the country. So, don't judge or hate them for that. 

You can go ahead now. If you feel anything wrong at some point or want to ask me anything, ask in comments or message me. I will be very happy to take your inputs.}

After the catastrophe of the day, we were finally greeted by the cool night. The cool breeze from the sea encompassed the entire city, entering into every house through the possible openings, thus soothing all the nerves in the body. In the comfort of this winter night, I sat on the bed, leaning my back gently against the wooden backrest. Subbu once again got ready with my medicine and asked me to remove my shirt.

"Why should you take all this trouble? I should have asked Ramu kaka to stay back for tonight if you haven't stopped me.", I uttered in an apologetic tone for troubling my dear friend.

"I don't have any trouble. If you can take these wounds for someone who is absolutely unrelated to you, I too can effortlessly apply medicine on my best friend's wounds.", he replied without thinking for a moment.

I couldn't stop my eyes from welling up with tears.

"I don't know what I even did to have such good friends in my life", I uttered.

"Arey...Anirudh, you are crying! Stop it barrister babu. Otherwise my sister will kill me. First of all I made a big promise that I won't allow even a housefly to touch. Now, I cannot stop flies and mosquitoes from touching you anyway. At least, let me keep your sorrows at bay.", he remarked trying to cheer me up.

I smiled subtly.

"Yes, this is what we need. Your smile is so beautiful, Anirudh. It reflects the purity of your heart. Never lose this smile.", he ordered in a commanding tone.

"Okay brother. I am not crying anymore.", I assured.

"That's better; but tell me why did you grow emotional all of a sudden?", he asked with concern, while his hands were busy working on my wounds.

"I remembered Sourabh. He...he...gave away his life to protect me and Bondita", I said, my eyes welling up with tears once again. Then I narrated that horrible incident when I had lost one best friend because of another one.

"Th...tha..that day, I lost two of my best friends forever. One was Sourabh and the other was Saudamini. While one left the world for the good, the other left the society to stay aloof in jail for a worst cause.", I spoke as I gulped the sorrow down the throat.

Subbu looked at me apologetically. He knew both of them. I used to speak a lot about them in London, since they were my only best friends from India.

"Sourabh was just like you, Subbu, although his family was not as progressive as yours. Yet, he used to be like my right hand, always standing beside me through thick and thin. He was not less than my brother. Whenever I see you, I will remember him. I don't know what I even did to deserve some good friends like you.", I continued while tears flowed incessantly from my eyes.