The Only One Left TW

TW: ALLUSION TO DEATH
Includes: Kai angst, and some sweetness
(This one stabs my heart in the best way omg bless me for writing it 🙏)

The smoke from the fire still hung in the air, making the night sky even darker. Ash dusted everything and rubble was piled up everywhere you looked. In some areas, the fire still smouldered, crackling and sparking, before rubble would fall, extinguishing it. A hushed murmur hung across the city, people picking themselves up, helping others out from under ruins, reuniting with friends and family, and crying over bodies found unconscious.

Kai solemnly looked over the city, taking in the peace after the long battle. Burns covered every inch of his body, scars and bruises still pulsed with pain, and he unstably shook ever so slightly. Above all the other pain, his heart hurt the most. It violently beat with rage and agony, Kai thought it might jump out of his throat.

Kai caught his breath. He felt the all-knowing shiver go down his back. It was hard to mistake the feeling of their stares for anyone else's. His friends. Kai realized he was too afraid to look anywhere but forward in case the feeling disappeared. He wasn't ready to be alone just yet. He felt tears prick his eyes and his grip tightened on the edge of the building.

"I'm so sorry," Kai spoke with a small, broken voice. "I'm so so sorry..." Kai closed his eyes to keep his tears in and bit his lip, but it wasn't enough. A sob built in his throat and he was too tired and weak to stop it. He let the sob escape and tears came with it. He covered his face with his hand, trying to keep himself standing with the other, but he dropped to his knees anyway, leaning forward against the raised edge. Just as Kai started to regain control of his breathing, he felt a cold embrace. It was as if ice had been wrapped around his body, as if he'd just been dropped into a pile of snow, if a cool wind swirled around him. He blinked open his eyes but didn't dare move his head to look anywhere but at the concrete wall.

"You've got this, Kai."

"Keep going!"

"It's ok, Kai."

"We'll always be at your side."

"We love you, Kai..."

Kai heard the wisps of his friends' voices echo in his ears and he choked up once more into uncontrollable sobbing. The cold embrace remained until Kai's final cry. He took a deep breath and picked himself up. He took one last look at the city and turned on his heel. He walked over to the other side of the building's roof, jumped up onto the edge, and hesitated. He gulped and turned to look back at where he had sat just before.

For a split second, Kai swore he had seen ghostly versions of his friends ready to jump from the building when he was. Kai smiled to himself. He lept off of the building and summoned his dragon, flying off towards the monastery, hoping to meet Master Wu.