Prologue (Heading to Camp)

"Look I didn't ask to be a Half-Blood" 

But maybe I should start from the beginning...

My name is Eliana Corbyn. I am fifteen years old and currently sitting in the principal's office at my school. I lived in the wonderful state of Kentucky. Unfortunately I lived in the suburbs near the city instead of out in the country. I would much rather be out in the sun in the open fields riding a horse. 

I sat quietly in my chair looking down at the floor avoiding my principal's eyes. He had called me out of class and even called home to request a meeting with my parent. Saying I hadn't expected this would've been a lie. Honestly I was surprised this hadn't happened sooner. 

"Eliana, do you know why I've called you here?" My principal asked nicely. I barely glanced up at his wrinkling old face. I slowly shook my head and remained silent. My father remained silent in the chair next to me. 

My principal sighed and began to open my school record file. 

"Eliana, has managed to receive A's in all her classes-"

"Then what is the problem?" My father interrupted. "Having good grades shouldn't get you in trouble." 

I looked up at my principal to see his reaction. He gave an annoyed expression and turned the page in my file to continue. 

"But she has managed to get herself kicked off the archery, kicked out of the choir and she has quit the basketball team. She has also skipped at least seven classes in the past two weeks as well as over 30 absences in the last month. I dare not say what it's been for the semester."

"Okay, she's been skipping a lot of classes, but she's still getting top grades-" My father started. 

"Exactly," my principal interrupted again. "someone who has skipped more classes than they've attended shouldn't be getting top grades." 

I could feel my face heat. I knew skipping all those classes would catch up to me. 

"Well maybe she's just really smart." 

My principal gave a frustrated sigh. "Listen, I know her mother has just died and it's hard, and I understand with the learning disabilities she has it can be hard to focus in class. But something this school does not tolerate is cheating."

"I haven't cheated." I said speaking for the first time. The principal ignored what I said and continued. 

"Mr. Garrison, Eliana will be lucky if she can even pass the 9th grade with how many absences she has, but cheating is taken very seriously and will result in punishment." 

"But I haven't cheated!" I say sitting up straighter. "Yes, I skipped a few classes but I made all my work up and I tried really hard on it to get a good grade! I haven't cheated Mr. Smith I've just studied and done the homework. It's not my fault that half the people who attend class everyday still fail the test and never turn their work in. I've just applied myself..somewhat." 

Mr.Smith my principal pulled out two pieces of paper. One had my name and the other had the name of a student a year above me. 

"What is this?" I asked, looking at the papers he handed me. My work and this other paper had word for word the exact answers. But how was that possible? I hadn't cheated..but yet this paper had somehow proved I had. "I've never seen that paper in my life." I said handing it back to my principal. 

"Eliana, I'm sorry but your fate has already been decided as of this morning when your friend Cyprian was nice enough to hand us these papers and confess to seeing you cheat." My principal informed me.