Seven | Better

CELESTINE
(Age Eighteen)

I need to stop this madness but I just can't help but not like this woman.

She is not a bitch but she is not a sweet, kind person either. I don't understand how Arnaud tolerated her.

She is just weird. I mean okay, I get it, getting married to a stranger can be stressful but they have been fucking married for five years now and she is still so cold.

Armano and Lenore were so happy to have a maternal aunt, talking with her whenever she visited with Arnaud.

But she didn't even bother to show any interest in their conversation, responding with only a distracted nod.

They both eventually stopped talking to her, keeping their distance from her.

Arnaud kept his promise of not forgetting me. He remained my best friend, nothing changed. Okay, he did spend a bit more time with his wife than me but that's understandable. I became mature enough to understand that.

Today was another day when Arnaud was here with her for dinner, both of them sitting next to each other with me sitting opposite Arnaud.

Her short blonde hair was perfectly styled in a bob haircut, prominent cheekbones made her look like a statue and her empty, cold grey eyes added to that statue look.

I watched them both closely while eating my dinner. God, I feel like a jealous girlfriend.

I have no right to be jealous but I wish I could have that undivided attention that he gives her.

Della paused eating, eyes falling on the plate of sauteed vegetables placed a bit away from her and she reached her hand to grab it.

Arnaud being the attentive one, beat her to it and grabbed it for her and he was happily going to serve her but her lips pursed and she took the plate away from him.

There was a subtle tick in his jaw as he stared at her before he quickly schooled his expressions and resumed eating.

She doesn't deserve him.

I could be a hundred times better wife to him. I know he is my best friend and what we have is platonic, also he is sixteen years older than me but if I had to choose a life partner, I wouldn't find anyone better than him.

The usual, cheerful chatter of my family distracted me away from them thankfully.

Armano and Alamea were once again bickering, sitting opposite to each other with Armano next to me and I could feel them kicking each other under the table.

"Stop it," I muttered sharply in his ear.

He threw a glare at me and gave Alamea one last kick before settling down.

Alamea wanted to retaliate but I sent a stern look making her roll her eyes and resume eating. Being the eldest in this house means everyone obeys me. Most of the time at least.

They both glared at each other, not breaking eye contact while eating.

I wouldn't call them both friends but not enemies either. There are days when they both get along, laughing and playing together and even helping each other but given the chance, they don't miss teasing and mocking each other too. They are frenemies.

Dinner wrapped up soon, Arnaud excused himself and left the room.

Mom, Aunty Orla and Ayame took Della with them, they all are always nice to her, including her in every conversation.

"You have been staring at her for too long", Ada whispered to me.

I realised that I was glaring at Della's back as she left the room.