Half a Heart Without You

Deets: Shinez - WC 4197 - Written by user @straydelights at https://archiveofourown.org/works/48120220 - [NR]

The program was already starting when Kazuha arrived after being stuck in a traffic jam for almost two hours despite leaving her penthouse early.

Kazuha was in between walking and running as she strode her way towards her highschool alma mater's auditorium where the opening program for this year's Art Festival is being held at. She was chosen as one of the special guests for today's event and yet she just had to steal the spotlight by being late.

"Slow down, Zuha! Coach will kill us if anything bad happens to you." Her college friend turned personal assistant, Chaewon, reprimanded her.

Kazuha chuckled before responding. "Relax, Chaewon unnie! No one's going to get injured."

Once they were already inside, Kazuha turned towards one of the assigned ushers for the event to find the seat that was reserved for her. Meanwhile, Chaewon gestured to her that she will just be at the corner and she could just call her if anything should happen.

It didn't take long before several students managed to recognize her and started making noises.

"Is that Nakamura Kazuha?" Murmurs filled the auditorium as more students recognized her and didn't bother to listen to the speaker that is delivering their speech anymore.

"What is she doing here? Is she going to perform today?" Another student asked.

Kazuha just bowed and smiled as she passed by the students. Meanwhile, the ushers had to stop them from making any more unnecessary noises so as to not disturb the on-going event.

It looks like she did steal the spotlight for being fashionably late. But honestly speaking, she didn't expect that many people outside of the ballet industry would recognize her. It felt like she's a celebrity even though she's actually not.

As soon as she was already settled on her seat, she felt her world coming to a halt when she saw the face of the person she hadn't seen for a very long time stepping on the stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Let's give a round of applause for our dear alumnus who will grace us with her breathtaking and majestic voice, Huh Yunjin!" The MC announced before the lights completely went off and focused on the person now standing in the middle of the stage for everyone to see.

Huh Yunjin.

Her best friend and her first love. She has been invited and is performing on stage like her.

Kazuha felt tears beginning to pool at the corner of her eyes. She doesn't know how she will react. Whether she will be happy because she saw Yunjin again or be amazed with how she has come so far with her innate talent. However, she's sure of one thing and that is every fibre of her being felt alive for the first time in forever.

Seeing her on stage today stirred up an infinite number of memories and feelings inside her that she hadn't felt for a long time. Out of all the places where they could have a reunion, she didn't expect to see her here in their highschool alma mater. After 12 long years of being away from each other, they finally met again in the very same place where they were at the crossroads of their destinies for their plans after graduating highschool in which they swore to pursue the path that their hearts truly desired.

Ever since she was a child, Kazuha was already certain that she wanted to become a professional ballet dancer after attending one session and realizing that she actually enjoyed it. However, the people around her beg to differ.

"A professional ballet dancer?" Her mother, the person she expected to support her at all cost, gave her a look of disapproval. "Don't be ridiculous. Such things aren't meant for a career. It will get you nowhere."