Strawberry Soju

Deets: Purinz - WC 3367 - Written by user @kzhazana at https://archiveofourown.org/works/48953062 - [G]

"Someone's trying hard to take a step ahead of me, huh?"

Chaewon almost tore a page of her book upon hearing that familiar, grating voice. She clenched her jaw, resisting the urge to snap at the person. The bright yet annoying tone was enough for her not to look back to see whoever it was. That voice belonged to someone who had been a constant source of annoyance ever since the day she first heard it, and it still haunts her in the middle of the night. It was terrible.

"I'm always ahead of you, Yunjin ." Chaewon quipped, her voice laced with a mix of irritation and amusement. She looked up at her and flashed the fakest smile known to mankind. Yunjin's taunts were getting under her skin once again, just as she does every single day. The air seemed to crackle with tension as Yunjin's sly smile widened, walking in big strides and sitting across from her. Their eyes locked, and Chaewon's gaze bore into Yunjin's, a storm brewing within them. It was more than just a glare; it was an intense, piercing stare enough to make one shiver.

"I'm acing a lot more things than you."

Chaewon scoffed, her laughter tinted with irony. "Yeah, if 'acing' means getting on someone's nerves." She shook her head in amusement. Yunjin gritted her teeth, closing Chaewon's book just when she was about to turn another page, and inched herself closer to the girl. Everyone in their class knew they hated each other deeply, even their professors were aware. But why are they now staring into each other's souls with a few inches gap between their faces, intertwining breaths?

"Back off." Chaewon scowled, pushing the younger girl off by the shoulders harshly. Yunjin stumbled back on the chair she was sitting on moments ago. Her grin just grew wider when she heard a hint of annoyance in Chaewon's tone. The urge to annoy her intensified even more. Days between the two had always been like this – an eternal tug of war between fiery personalities that drew both admiration and frustration from those around them.

They would nag at each other in their most provoking, irritating voices. The rest of the students were used to their antics by now, and even the professors had given up trying to intervene.

"I'm afraid I can't." Yunjin retorted, a playful glint in her eyes. "Ms. Choi paired us up for a music performance before the upcoming finals."

How gracious. Out of all the people that she could have been paired with, it just happened to be Huh Yunjin – an unexpected twist of fate. To make matters worse, she had to hear it directly from her, what a nice way to start a morning. It was as if life had a peculiar sense of humor, orchestrating an unlikely rendezvous just to challenge her resilience before the day even began.

"You're fucking kidding."

"I'm not."

Chaewon let out a long sigh, closing her eyes and rubbing her temples as if trying to alleviate the headache that had already begun forming. Of course, Ms. Choi would find a way to force them together. Chaewon suspected she secretly enjoyed watching the sparks fly between them, but she had no energy to protest. She was just tired of this ongoing rivalry that seemed to have no end in sight.

"Fine." Chaewon muttered, trying to sound disinterested, though her annoyance was still evident. She knew she didn't have any choice but to give in and team up with Yunjin. Aware that they would spend days together preparing for their performance, she still couldn't help but feel a spark of competitiveness ignite within her. She was determined not to let Yunjin outshine her yet again.

Chaewon's thoughts wandered into the realm of what-ifs and worst-case scenarios. The mere fact of having to work and spend time with Yunjin was already making her blood boil. The more she thought about it, the more anxious she became. It wasn't that Chaewon felt threatened or scared of Yunjin's presence, it was that one exasperating trait that gnawed at her like a persistent itch – the way Yunjin seemed to revel in making her feel on edge, especially when the spotlight turned her way.