Lilies Abounded

Deets: Purinz - WC 5765 - Written by user @blueflame at https://archiveofourown.org/works/49975060 - Teen and Up

When Chaewon lowers her rifle, she furrows her eyebrows and can only say, "What the fuck, Yunjin? What are you doing here?"

"What does it look like?" Yunjin sputters, spitting out the blades of grass and pieces of black soil that got into her mouth mid-fall.

She's in a pitfall, one that was covered with twigs and leaves and she fell into it unassuming like a damned cartoon character. Perhaps she was getting too careless, getting lightheaded at ditching death for so long. She winces as she tries to stand, her right ankle sensitive to the sudden weight on it, a dull throb ringing through her so she shifts to her other side. Squinting as she glances up at Chaewon, the harsh sun beating down and drawing the silhouette of someone she could pick out from anyone else.

"No, I mean what the hell are you doing here? I almost shot you!"

"I remembered you to be a better host," Yunjin tries with a joke but it falls flat. Lazily, she reaches her arm out, trying to reach the top of the hole, but her ankle twists and pain shoots through her. "Help me get out!"

Chaewon doesn't move.

"Are you bitten?"

Her voice comes out small against the harsh gusts of wind of late autumn and Yunjin would have a harder time picking it up if it didn't come as a shock. The wind blows a new round of rotting leaves into the hole, the scent and the sudden rush of disappointment suffocating her.

"Yeah, totally chewed up." Yunjin scoffs. "Seriously, Chaewon. Get me out of here."

Hesitation still lingers in the pinch of her brows, but Chaewon slowly puts her rifle down. Out of Yunjin's reach, she notices. Yunjin tries to swallow the sudden bitter feelings residing in the back of her throat as Chaewon's fingers wrap around her arm, pulling her up with surprising strength until Yunjin can grasp the edge of the pit. She hooks her good leg on the edge and rolls out.

"Okay," Chaewon starts, vowels elongating as she watches Yunjin dust off her clothes. Her eyes linger on her face for a moment too long, before she leans down to pick up her rifle. With a nod, she adds, "You're out. It was nice meeting you, Yunjin."

"What a welcome," Yunjin scorns. "Is this how you welcome a friend?"

"We are not friends anymore. We haven't been for a while now. What were you even doing here?"

It stings, but hell, if Yunjin will let on. Wearing her heart on her sleeves was something she used to be proud of; before lying became a norm to survive. Now, her face is a clean slate, similar to the suspicious expression Chaewon wears.

Suddenly Yunjin's stomach rumbles and answers for her. It triggers a small, surprised laughter out of Chaewon, who looks equally put out at her own reaction – and Yunjin tries to fight off the heat that fills her cheeks.

"I'm hungry and I saw the buildings... I thought there might be something left here."

The hard edges of Chaewon's shoulders curl inwards.

"You do know this could've been a trap, right? You could have willingly walked into someone who had bad intentions with you."

"Worse than having a rifle shoved into my face?"

"Far worse," Chaewon agrees, ignoring the jab. She runs her fingertips on the band of her rifle, almost like she's hesitating. But then, she drops her hand. "But you got lucky that it's just me. You can go now."

Her condescending tone sets a small fire of anger in Yunjin's chest, but she tries to shush it. Glancing over Chaewon's shoulders, at the suburbia standing there like it was encapsulated in amber, she has to play her cards well. As Chaewon turns away from her to leave, Yunjin catches her wrist. She tries to ignore the nervous thrum of Chaewon's pulse under her fingertips.