Chapter 24

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
"Redemption"

STORYBROOKE
PRESENT DAY

"Tell me...about this." David demanded to know as he dropped Jefferson's crushed hat down in front of Regina. He had stormed over to her house with the intention of getting answers he desperately needed; and with some convincing, he had managed to get Rose to tag along with him.

Regina raised her brow slightly, a little surprised by the prince's boldness. "Surprised you don't have armed guards 'round the clock." She said.

"Don't need 'em. We both know if you step outside, there's a line a mile long for your head." David snapped.

"Who's going to risk coming at me?" Regina questioned, almost laughing at the prince.

"Take your chances then." David shrugged. "But, I think that little wallpaper trick was an anomaly. If you had your abilities back, this town would be charcoal by now. You're having problems with magic, aren't you? Right now, the only thing keeping you alive is that Henry wishes it. Now, the hat."

Scoffing lightly, Regina glanced down at the hat before her eyes flicked up and met Rose's. Her expression softened ever so slightly as she read the sad look on her daughter's face. It hurt Regina's heart knowing her daughter wasn't on her side, she wanted her to be more than anything but it would take a long time for that to happen. Sighing, she turned back to David.

"It's the hat that pulled your loved ones away." She said.

"Well, where did you get it?" David asked.

"I've long since forgotten." Regina replied. "You know what? Maybe you should be less concerned with hats and more concerned with taking care of my son."

"Oh, because you took such great care of him." David sarcastically replied.

"I will not listen to child care lectures from a man who put his daughter in a box, and shipped her to Maine." Regina said.

"Okay, listen. I need my family. There's magic here now. There have to be ways to follow them." David said.

"Follow them where? Into a sucking airless void?" Regina asked. "And good luck getting magic to work, because as you said, you'd be charcoal."

"Ah, frustrated, are we? Serves you right. You earned every bit of this." David hissed.

"Keep on baiting me, Charming. Right now, I don't have magic and I don't have my son, but when I get one, I get the other, and you don't want to be around when that happens."