"I'm... scared," he whispered, his words fragile, as if whispered into the night.

"Scared of..."

"You might come to regret me once you hear everything I have to say. It's best we don't see each other until I've finished sharing my story," he confessed, vulnerability seeping into every word.

I sat there, stunned and rendered speechless by his words. I hadn't expected him to harbor such thoughts, but in hindsight, it made sense. After all, I had discovered the truth about him being my mate the hard way. "Okay, " I managed to utter, my voice betraying a mix of curiosity and a hint of apprehension.

"Thank you," he responded, a trace of satisfaction lacing his words.

"It all started when Guardian Jayden hired me to take care of his niece - you," he began, his voice steady yet tinged with a flicker of nostalgia.

"So you didn't know we were mates," I interjected, my curiosity getting the better of me.

He shook his head, his eyes meeting mine. "No, I didn't. I was just a student when your uncle approached me for the job. It was an immense privilege that he entrusted me with your well-being, especially considering the animosity surrounding him due to his connection with your father. At one point, he was almost banished, but he got lucky." I listened intently, my fingers still gently massaging the ointment into his wounded back. The room enveloped us in a serene tranquility, and the sound of his voice washed over me, offering a temporary respite from the tumultuous emotions swirling within.

"I didn't think I would ever have a one," he murmured, his voice tinged with a touch of melancholy.

"Have what?" I inquired, my breath catching in my throat.

"A mate," he confirmed, "In my family lineage, mating had become a rarity. Many of them turned into lone wolves and perished that way. I believed that would be my fate as well."

"Then I met you," he whispered, his voice barely above a breath. Memories of that day flooded my mind, memories of my ninth birthday - a day forever etched in my heart. "You were there, so adorable, strong, and incredibly stubborn," he continued, a faint smile tugging at the corners of my lips.

"I thought it was an illusion, perhaps a trick from the moon goddness, but it wasn't. You were my mate, and from that day forward, I made it my mission to protect you with every fiber of my being," he confessed, his words carrying a weight of devotion and determination.

"I would visit you every day, sometimes every hour, just to witness your smile directed at me. You would recount stories of how your peers called you weird, and in those moments, I wanted nothing more than to defend you, to protect you from their ignorance. Your parents began to grow suspicious of our closeness, and one day, they confronted me. I told them the truth, and strangely enough, it made them trust me even more whenever we were together," he recounted, the memories painting a vivid picture in our minds.

"The more time we spent together, the stronger our bond became. There were moments when you would question why I was always by your side. But how does one explain to a nine-year-old that she is their mate?" he mused, a hint of wistfulness lacing his words.

"Why did you leave?" My voice escaped my lips before I could even consider the consequences. His body tensed, freezing in place as silence enveloped the room.

"I had to," he finally responded, his voice filled with an inexplicable mix of fear and sorrow.

"That's bullshit, and you know it. Tell me the real reason, Nicholas," I demanded, my tone firm, determined to uncover the truth. But still, he remained silent, offering no words in return.