Chapter 40: Tangled Desires

| RED'S POV |

"Wait... hold up. So what you're saying is that there's a doppelganger of you?" I asked Xavier, still trying to wrap my head around his previous statement.

"Yes," he replied, sounding slightly annoyed. "This is why I didn't want to tell you in the first place," he added, closing his eyes momentarily, as if collecting his thoughts.

"That guy devouring Aubrey's lips like a starved maniac isn't me in any way. He's a shapeshifter that Aubrey had a regrettable encounter with a long time ago."

"Oh," I finally understood, the pieces falling into place.

"So he agreed to impersonate you as long as he got a taste of her?" He stated.

"Meaning?" I questioned,feeling lost. A peculiar smile creeping onto his face. He leaned in close to my ear and whispered, "Meaning they're going to have sex right here, Red. She'll think it's me and perform her best."

Heat rushed to my face, and I instinctively pushed him away, feeling a mix of embarrassment and discomfort.

"Haha... You should see your face," he began, but I quickly covered his mouth with my hand, fearing we might attract unwanted attention since Miss Alyssn...

Oh crap, I forgot about her.

What if she comes here and finds out, or worse, reports to the teachers about hearing strange sounds? Not that I would blame her, considering what Aubrey and Jacob are up to.

"Xavier, what about Miss Alyssn?" I whispered urgently, trying to keep my voice low.

"Wragbt abuts har," he mumbled with my hand still covering his mouth. I realized my mistake and sheepishly removed my hand, apologizing quickly.

"Sorry," I said, and he nodded in understanding.

"I said, what about her?" he repeated.

"Dude... She could come here any minute. What are we going to do then?" I expressed my concern.

"Oh... don't worry, I have that covered," he replied casually, slipping his left hand into his jean pocket, his attention still fixed on Aubrey and the imposter.

"How? Did you... kill her?" I ventured cautiously, half-jokingly. He responded by jabbing my head with his middle finger.

"With all the reading you've done here, you're not that smart, are you?" he retorted.

"What do you mean?" I rubbed my head where he poked me, still feeling a slight pain.

"I just told her there was a teacher meeting, and it's true, by the way. Why do you think Jacob is having more fun than me right now?" he explained, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Wait, you can hear him? What's he doing?" I inquired, curiosity getting the better of me.

"You don't want to know. You might have nightmares. But if you're interested, he's getting his dick sucked really..." He blurted out before I hastily interrupted him.

"It's okay. Sheesh, sorry I asked," I said, turning my face away and attempting to hide my flushed cheeks.

Change the subject, Red.

"Um... when will Fake Xavier start asking questions?" I coughed, trying to shift the conversation. Xavier smirked, aware of my attempt but chose not to mock me.

"Any second now. Let the guy have his fun," he replied, and I rolled my eyes, ignoring his comment and focusing on Avery, who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying herself.