Chapter 21

It was finally the weekend before finals. Once that was over, the following week was graduation and I could finally say goodbye to this damn place. It was bittersweet but not in the normal sense. For me, it was sweet because it was finally over. It was bitter because I was another step closer to starting law school and who knew what the fuck was going to happen with that. I didn't want to stay in the moment and I sure as hell was not ready for the future. I just hoped that I was right, that my mental health would improve after leaving here. Maybe I would find my drive once again and law school wouldn't be that bad. Maybe.

It was going to be a long night for me. Jongin was having his final performance with the dance club. Afterward we were heading to a party. Of course Jessi gave me no choice but I figured I'd indulge her this one final time. There was no telling if we would actually stay in contact after all this was said and done. This could be the last time we would spend time together. I wasn't sure how I felt about that, but I didn't give myself the space to dwell on it. I was filled with enough trepidation already, I didn't need the anxiety to grow. With my makeup on, shorts and a cute top, and sneakers for comfort, I made my way to campus to meet the rest of the group.

I was aware that it would be Jessi, Jackson, and Mark. I had a feeling that Danielle would be there as well. I could only hope that she would keep to herself as she had been whenever I passed by her on campus. She was the second person I was glad to be getting far away from. It was a shame though. She had been my closest friend throughout college, and it just took one argument for all of it to go up in flames. I guess we weren't actually that close. Regardless, I wish her the best and that she stays the fuck away from me.

When I reached the auditorium, I scouted out Jessi and the others. They had saved seats close to the front. When I spotted Jessi, she squealed and jumped up to give me a hug. I then greeted the others. Everyone but Danielle of course. Jessi saved me the seat at the end. She was the buffer between me and Danielle. While they were all chatting, I kept my focus on the stage, waiting for the event to start. My mind drifted off to Chanyeol. I hadn't seen him since Wednesday and I barely heard from him too. I figured he would probably be present since his best friend was performing. I wondered where he was sitting and with whom.

The show started and I was locked in. People sung, danced, and played instruments. Most of the dancers from the club had solos, including Jongin and Yixing. It was a good time. Halfway through, I stopped breathing when Chanyeol hopped on the stage with Yixing. The cheers were loud. I heard various people calling out Chanyeol's name. I guess he was much more popular than I originally assumed. They both had guitars in their hands and stepped up to the two microphones that were set up. Chanyeol, being the giant that he is, had to readjust his which just pulled laughter from the crowd. I hadn't realized I was clutching onto my seat so tightly until I felt my fingers start to ache. His deep voice filled the room as he reintroduced himself and Yixing and that they were going to play a few songs. They simultaneously begun strumming and a gentle melody filled the air. Yixing started it off. His voice was soft and sweet. Chanyeol's voice then came into play. Deep and rich. They harmonized beautifully. During Chanyeol's verse, I was able to hear a slight rasp come through as he belted out note after note. When the song came to an end, the room erupted with applause, but they weren't done yet. They set their guitars aside and a beat started playing over the speakers. It was upbeat and had people cheering again before they even started. Chanyeol began this time and he was rapping. Yixing soon joined in too and people were on their feet. Fuck they were talented. I was starting to wonder if there was anything that they couldn't do. When their performance ended, they received a standing ovation. I was even on my feet cheering.
"Oh my gosh, that was so good." Jessi gushed.
"Chanyeol is so fine." I heard Danielle say. It made me cringe.
"Right? I have this one friend that has been trying to hook up with him all semester." Jessi said.
"I heard he fucks everyone." Said Danielle.
"Apparently not." Jessi shrugged. "And you know how rumors are."
"Hm. He's probably not into your friend then."
"Who do you know that he's fucked?" Jessi challenged.
"I mean I don't know anyone personally, but I've heard stories from some people."
"They could easily be making it up. Who wouldn't want to fuck him?" Jessi pointed out.
"Facts." Danielle agreed. "Think I should give it a shot tonight?" Jessi laughed and I had to stifle one and pretend I wasn't listening.
"You sure as hell can try."
"I will." Danielle crossed her arms and stared at the stage. I felt Jessi nudge me.
"You okay?" She asked once she had my attention.
"Yep. All good." I replied.
"You're coming with us later, right?"
"I guess." I sighed and she laughed.
"I'm gonna miss you Brooke. I know you're going to disappear on us after graduation, but I just want to let you know that I'm glad we became friends." This felt sudden. I didn't expect her to get so sentimental. I didn't have any words. I just smiled and nodded. She seemed to understand. The show resumed and more performers graced the stage. Finally, it was time for the finale. The dance club rushed the stage, hyping up the crowd who cheered loudly. They took their places and the music started. Their formations were clean. They hit each beat with precision. It was breathtaking. It felt as if it ended too soon. Of course, they received a standing ovation as well and the loudest cheers of the night. The hosts thanked everyone for attending, and it was over. We hung back as the auditorium emptied out, waiting for Jongin and Sehun. I was surprised, but not really, to see Chanyeol and Yixing walking with them. I caught Danielle sending Jessi a look and she just rolled her eyes in response. We dished out congratulations and praises to the four men. I hung back after giving Jongin a hug because then the four were mobbed by the others. Chanyeol swiftly occupied by Danielle. I waited quietly until they finally decided to get moving.