Chapter 7

I was a bit surprised he didn't up and leave this time. He offered to spark up and I didn't decline. I could use it. Him delivering on his promise and fucking me into the mattress was good enough, but this was a pleasant addition. Whatever to help me forget.
"Have you ever had a burger from mirage?" He asked, looking up from his phone.
"I have not."
"Okay, wait, what?" He sat up against the headboard. "How have you been here for four years and have never had a burger from Mirage?" I didn't have an answer for him so I just shrugged, taking a drag of the blunt. "You're not vegan or vegetarian or anything like that, right?"
"Nope."
"Then you have no excuse."
"And what if I'm just not a fan of burgers? Or I just don't eat red meat?"
"As valid as all of those could be, I don't believe it."
"Then what else would explain me not ever having a burger from there?"
"You have questionable taste in restaurants? You don't have friends who love you? Do you even have friends?" As much as that last one stung, I laughed it off and took another puff before handing it over.
"Wow."
"Those were the things that first came to mind." He said with a shrug, taking a puff.
"And they are wildly left field."
"Then what's your favorite food place?"
"I don't have a favorite."
"Top three." He corrected.
"Chi Chi's, Sunset, and...Kahari." I replied. He stared at me blankly for a moment before narrowing his eyes suspiciously.
"Okay, you get a pass with Chi Chi's, and also Kahari only because I've never been there. But Sunset is definitely questionable."
"Their milkshakes are bomb. What are you talking about?"
"See, if you had mirage, I doubt you'd be saying that." He handed the blunt to me.
"You think Mirage has better milkshakes?"
"I know they do and I'll prove it to you." He climbed out of bed and picked up his jeans. "Get dressed."
"What?" I said with a slight laugh.
"We're going to Mirage."
"I'm going to need a shower." I couldn't lie, I was confused. Was he really about to take me out to get food right now?
"We're just going through the drive-thru." He said with a slight eyeroll. I stared at him as he buttoned his jeans and pulled on his shirt and hoodie before I gave in. I handed the blunt back and threw on some sweats and a hoodie. He took another pull before putting it out on the portable ash tray he brought with him this time. Once I was ready, I followed him out. We walked up to a matte black Mercedes SUV. Made sense. A big man needs a big car even though I would have expected someone like him to drive a sports car.

He surprisingly opened the passenger door for me. I thanked him as I got in and settled into the seat. It was as cold as I expected for an October night but I didn't regret not bringing a jacket. I just tucked my hands between my knees after putting on my seatbelt. When he hopped in and started the car, he turned the heat on.
"You okay to drive?" I asked. I hadn't ever gotten into the car with someone who had been smoking weed. Sure, we had just gotten started and it probably hadn't hit him very hard yet, but still. Could never be too cautious.
"What? Nervous?" He teased with a mischievous grin. I glared at him and he laughed. "Don't worry, I'm good. It takes way more than a couple puffs for me to be incapacitated." I nodded, believing him. We really hadn't been smoking that long. He put on some music then started driving. It took a few minutes before it hit me again that I was in this man's car, on our way to get food. It felt way more comfortable than it should have for him to be just a hookup. Then again, it wasn't the first time we shared a meal. I guess it was different because it was in my apartment. This was out in public now.
"So other than burgers and milkshakes, what do they have there?" I had to do something to keep my mind from making this seem like more than it was.
"Your typical fast food shit." He shrugged. "Fries, hotdogs and sausages, chicken sandwiches and a ton of other sandwiches, salads for the health-conscious weirdos, and mac and cheese which is surprisingly pretty good."
"Why are you hating on people who like salads?" I said with a giggle.
"Who the hell goes to a fast-food place to get a salad?" His face scrunched in disgust which just made me laugh. "What's the point?"
"You're right." I nodded in agreement. I never really put much thought into it but my guess would be to give people who were at least vegetarian some options. But most of the salads always had chicken or bacon in it so it didn't make much sense that way.
"If I'm getting fast food, the last thing I'm thinking about is a fucking salad."
"Very valid." I said. "What do you usually get there?"
"It's between the Oasis burger or the Sahara burger, a red velvet milkshake, and fries." He said. "My go-to meal."
"Sounds good." I nodded.
"The best actually." He stated proudly. I giggled and relaxed into the seat. It was getting warm now. I focused out of the window at the passing lights from the streetlights and buildings. We were heading toward the bustle of the town where the shopping centers, mall, clubs, and other activities were based. Where you would find the majority of students during their weekends or other free time. I had barely made it out this far off campus lately. "Chocolate or vanilla?" He asked, getting my attention again.
"Definitely chocolate." I replied.
"I figured." He nodded.
"And how did you figure?" I challenged.
"You just seem like a chocolate person."
"Wow, that obvious huh?" I said flatly. He glanced at me then laughed.
"Not what I meant. But that's okay, I like chocolate very much." He winked. I rolled my eyes.