Chapter Fifty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Good luck Jessi, I have a meeting with a few people before tomorrow," Aiden said.

My eyes lit up when I heard he wouldn't be home. It was hard to admit, but I feared Aiden would ask me what was going on today. Now I knew he was too busy.

I needed more time to arrange my thoughts. I also needed more time with my father. When I see him tomorrow, I will ask how to save him. It didn't matter what I had to do.

If giving up on having my own life would save him, I was more than willing. I knew I wasn't entirely free. Love or not, I was still promised to Aiden. My life was so unfair for making me choose between him and happiness.

From the first night we met, we kept attracting each other till I could no longer hold back. However, every time we got closer to each other, I faced one huge stumbling block.

Although Aiden told me to trust him, this was my father's life on the line. How much trust do I need to put in him before he hurts me?

As I went home in Halo's car, Mia tried to ask if I was feeling sick, but I shook my head and turned my gaze to the window. Aside from work, the media had so much to say about me as if I were a celebrity.

I just happened to be the daughter of a rich man whose life would be lost soon if he didn't get better. The ride home was silent, and I locked myself in Aiden's room for the rest of the night.

There was no dinner or drinking with my friends. Just me and my thoughts in a room. After hours of sitting on the bed, I fell asleep around 3 am and woke up by 7 am.

Mia was already knocking for me to come down. I rushed to the bathroom to get ready, picking out a slightly formal outfit for today. When I got downstairs, I saw why Mia was calling.

The morning show featured press coverage from the ZEN building. Everywhere was packed with Battle for Stars fans. They all wanted to see the new game.

From what I saw, security had to barricade the entrance for guests who had begun arriving.

"Nicole, I'm so nervous," Mia said. "This is my first time attending something like this. Thank you for recommending me,"

"What do you mean, who else would I recommend," I replied.

I would have been nervous, but I had other things on my mind. An interview featuring Aiden came up after that as Halo came down wearing a dark hoodie and tech-wear pants.

"Seriously?" I groaned.

"What?" he smirked. "I'm one of the beta testers. Pro gamers will be there and they will not be wearing suits,"

"Let's leave now, Jonas said we should use the private entrance," Mia said.

I nodded, and we both entered Halo's car. It seems we were the only ones to sleep in Aiden's house last night, as Jonas and Oliver were nowhere to be found.

As soon as we entered the ZEN building, my heart began to race in my chest. This was really happening. The moment I had dreamed of was here and I would see my father afterwards.

There were many gamers here. Gaming influencers with millions of followers walked up to take pictures with Aiden and I did my best to interact with a few people.

Unlike the rest of the staff, a lot of people seemed interested in meeting me. I knew it was because of my background and it made me visibly annoyed. When Aiden noticed my discomfort he would come to my rescue.

Luckily, the MC announced that the testing would begin soon. The testers had been taken backstage to be briefed, so I saw no sign of Halo. Oliver showed up with Jonas and sat with Mia while I stayed with Aiden.