88 | dream; of an envisioned future realized

Start from the beginning

Reed had placed down his book in hand, disbelief swirling in the confused blue gaze. He opened his mouth, then closed it, seeming conflicted on how to respond.

The teenager, at the time, simply stared in silence.

"...you're honestly asking me that question, Kaden?"

The boy, three years younger, blinked and nodded. "Yes."

Reed was left staring blankly at the foolish boy, asking a stupidly honest question. He sighed heavily, rubbing his temples.

"Listen here—" He stopped himself, palming his face as he groaned in frustration. It was a manner unfitting of the future king, but Reed could hardly care at that moment. "Tell me, why in the world would I tell you that?"

The younger boy blinked again, lips set in a deep frown. "You won't?"

"Of course I won't. Why would I give my enemy a weakness to use against me?"

"Enemy..." Kaden muttered, having yet to put a name to their terrible relationship. He hadn't understood it yet, exactly what that word meant. "That means I can't ask?"

Reed seemed a little bemused and a little irritated. "You can't. Because you're a fool, Kaden, I pity you a little. That's the only reason I'll give you some advice, alright? The only reason. Understand?"

Kaden didn't understand entirely, but he nodded anyway.

"I'm fairly certain you don't, but you will eventually. Listen. If you really want to know the answer," Reed gestured for the boy to come closer, leaning against his knees. "You need to watch. Observe your enemy—observe me closely."

The young boy stood quietly, head hanging obediently as he listened. The teenager's voice remained almost gentle, but carried a firm meaning.

"I've never, and will never, hide my weakness from you."

"Why?"

The boy asked curiously, despite a hesitant fear in his emerald gaze. A silence fell between them, boy and teenager, yet to be tormented by time. Reed swallowed, feeling the ball clump in his throat as his hand shook.

"I will behave in the way I believe I must. However cruel, however wrong, I am not pretending to be anything other than myself. And yet, my greatest fears and weaknesses are available for you to see."

"Then, Reed. Can I use that weakness against you?"

Reed laughed suddenly, coughing into his hand. "You can. But I have a feeling, knowing you, that you won't be able to find it. Even if you watch me carefully."

Kaden felt insulted, even if it wasn't directly stated. The boy glared, and Reed sighed with a lopsided smile twitching at his lips. "Do you want to know why? Because you're a fool, Kaden. And you could never imagine my weakness—and the day that you do, it'll be because something significant has greatly altered your life. Altered you."

The prince stood, walking over to his sofa and fell backwards on it, book in hand. He stared at the expanse of his ceiling, every corner built for royalty.

He smiled, but not at Kaden.

"What am I doing? What have I already done, and what will I do?" A maniacal laugh erupted from his chest, bellowing out as Kaden flinched.

The boy stiffened nervously, taking a step towards the sofa as Reed laughed into his hands, clutching his face. Then, the teenager stilled suddenly, pain wracking his body as the tremour of laughter faded into a seething pain under his skin.

His voice softened impossibly. "Leave, Kaden."

"But—"

"Please."