Chapter 17: Just You And Me.

Start from the beginning

“Well hello to you to Anna.” I say patting her head.

She giggles.

“Hi Lennox!” She says smiling.

“Hey Anna.” She says.

“Everyone quiet! Our first couple will be coming in and asking a few of you to line up outside of the living room so you can be interviewed!” Mrs. Kurters says.

A man and a woman about mid 20’s walk in. They make there way around the room asking kids if they would mind being interviewed, I’ve noticed a pattern all the kids are young. No one ever picks older kids.

The lady taps Anna. “Would you mind being interviewed? 

Anna nods her head quickly and lines up by the living room. I give her a thumbs up and she smiles at me.

“What would you do if she got adopted?” Lennox asks me.

“What do you mean?” I ask.

“What if those people want her? Like they’re going to adopt her?” She says.

“Then they adopt her. Don’t get to attached to anyone they can be taken from you in a split second.” I say growing quieter with each word.  

“Sophie, they were wrong to give you back.” Lennox says.

“No, I’m glad they gave me back, I wouldn’t want to live somewhere where they didn’t love me.” I reply.

“I’m sure they loved you.” Lennox assures me.

“Yeah loved me.” I reply.

“Just trying to help.” She says.

“I know and I’m sorry, it’s just a really touchy subject.” I tell her.

I told Lennox when I first came here about my life before and how I was given back, but she never returned the favor. I have no idea what happened and how she ended up here.

I start to fiddle with my thumbs worrying.

What if Anna did get adopted?

I know I’ve only known her for a month but she’s like my sister, I’ve never had a sister before.

Well, I’ve never had a family before either but that is beside the point.

I play with my blonde hair nervously, Anna walk into the living room to talk with the couple. About 3 minutes later she walks back out calmly and sits right back on my lap.