Chapter fifteen

CASSANDRA KHAN

There is no one talking.
Mom is staring at me.
Dad is staring at me.
Sarah is staring at me.
Aunt Vivian is staring at me.

I feel like am a thief who just got caught in an action. This tension is too much for me that I feel like I can not breathe anymore.

"Can I get out for some air?" I ask but when nobody answers me back, I also feel lame for asking in the first place.

Well if I want some air I should just get up and go get it. So what if I am pregnant is it the end of the world?
I purse my lips in a firm line before I start getting off of the bed.

"Did you know you were pregnant?" I tense when my mother talks again.
I want to make a run for the door but stop knowing it's better if I face this now for once and for all.

"No." It's hard to find my voice but I eventually do.

"You did not know." It sounds like a statement to me so I don't bother saying anything back to my mother.

"Well you are pregnant, congratulations to you and the lucky Prince Charming." I know she is being sarcastic and am realizing her being like this is way worse than her being angry but I will take it.
I will take whatever she is ready to throw at me.
As much hurtful as it is, I will take it.

I also haven't wrapped my mind around my pregnancy, I feel like am dreaming either.

I raise my eyes and look at her, look at everyone in the room.
I feel like I am cornered for doing something illegal.
Damn is being pregnant illegal?

"Thank you." I find myself saying back to my mother.
She scoffs in return before storming to me slowly.

"Thank you." She laughs humorlessly. "Thank you, that's all you have to say or do you even think I am congratulating you? For Pete's sake, you are pregnant. Cassy, do you even know what that means?"

"I do," I say confidently.
I can feel eyes on me and my mother but I keep mine on my mother.
I feel like I am going to explode if I stay in this room any longer than I have to.

I still haven't wrapped my mind yet to the fact that I am pregnant either too.
Damn, I am pregnant.
Am pregnant.
Am pregnant!
Am pregnant?
How? I don't get it. I feel like somewhere there must have been a problem.

Gosh, this was the last thing I ever considered myself to experience.
I know my mother did not know it but I was on the pill and I took it so well and on time each time.

God, I never wanted to be pregnant not even when I was old enough but now I am at just eighteen.

How more worse can it get? By the father rejecting it? That I would survive I guess.

I look at Mother as she's smiling the kind of smile that does not reach her eyes.

"Well, Cassy am delighted that you know what you are doing. Guess what sweetie be my guest. Come and enjoy motherhood. Come and go nuts, come and enjoy the benefits of being a whore at just your age." She walks closer to me and moves closer to my face taking her time with each of her hurtful words and piercing gaze.

"Come and enjoy the benefits of spreading your legs to filth boys for pleasure." If she was not my mother I know for a fact that I would be raising my hand and slapping her across her face, a hot hard slap.

"Julian stop," Dad says but I ignore everything and turn to face the other side not wanting to show Mom how her words are hurting me.

"I told you to stop telling me to calm down nor telling me to stop either. This is my daughter."