The Crossing

Hunter shifted in the bed. He heard soft laughter and slowly opened his eyes. He saw he was alone in the bed and sat up, rubbing his eyes. He heard laughter again. He got out of the bed and made his way to the door. Before he opened it though he paused and leaned against the door. Riyo and Aurora were on the other side.

"Riyo! You are currently sleeping with a commander?" He heard Aurora gasp. "You have to tell me his name!"

"Oh I don't know." Riyo said. "We are kind of keeping this a secret."

"I promise I won't say anything." Aurora begged. "Just tell me his first name at least."

Riyo was silent for a moment. "Okay, his name is Fox."

The Commander Fox? Hunter thought. She's with that stick in the mud? How?

"Ohh, Commander Fox. I like it." Hunter knew Aurora was smiling from ear to ear.

"Okay your turn." Riyo giggled. "So I came back last night and saw Hunter wasn't sleeping out here. So... You two?"

"Oh no, no, no." Aurora quickly said. "Not like that at all. We're just friends."

He heard Riyo laughed. "Aurora, friends don't look at each other the way you two do."

"I-" Aurora paused. "I couldn't sleep last night, so Hunter stayed with me last night is all."

"That's all? I'm not convinced."

"I'm serious. We talked and then we slept." Aurora paused again. "I don't know what it is about him, but when I'm with him or even just near him. I just feel safe. He makes me feel safe."

Riyo muffled a squeal. "You are so into him!"

Hunter leaned back. Aurora's into me? She's actually into me? He couldn't help but smile a little.

"SHH!" Aurora quickly said. "There was a night, long ago where he held me in his arms and it was the safest I had felt in a long time. Since then it's just been, well I don't even know."

"So why don't you go for it? It so easy to see that Hunter is into you just by the way he looks at you."

"I don't think so, I'm not ready for another relationship." Aurora sighed. "I don't know if I will ever be ready for another one."

"Because of your ex?"

"How do you know about that?"

"Bail told me a little bit about what happened and how you had faked your death, but he didn't go into too much details. I'm guessing you won't tell me his name?"

"No I won't. It's safer this way, trust me."

"I'm not scared of some man, Aurora."

"You should be. I'm scared."

Hunter thought he eaves-dropped long enough and backed up from the door. He let out a fake cough and walked back to the door. He opened it, stretching and saw Riyo leaning against the island while Aurora sat at a bar stool. The two of them had mugs in their hands.

"Hunter, good morning." Aurora smiled.

"Good morning, Hunter." Riyo said. "I made tea, have some." She poured him a cup, handing it to him.

He took the mug, taking a sip. It was hot and sweet. "Thank you." Riyo nodded.

"Tech, Wrecker, and Omega are on their way." Aurora said. "Cid has another job for us apparently."

"Lovely." Hunter mumbled into his mug.

"Riyo, thank you so much for everything. I had fun and I'm sure Hunter did as well, but we should be getting ready." Aurora said as she stood up.