"We won the war! Delphina is ours!"

Handing the basket over to the children, Meera jumped forward to grab the soldier's arm. She stopped him in his tracks and waited for him to catch his breath.

"We won?" Meera asked, her eyes lighting up.

"Yes," the man panted like a dog. "We won, Princess. The troops are returning home. The ships will dock tomorrow morning."

"We won!"

The confusion around Meera began to vanish as relief and joy fell over the city. Men and women all poured into the streets as the soldier bowed his head and carried on down the road, spreading the good news. Drums began to bang as people broke out into song and dance. Children cheered as their mothers rushed home to welcome their husbands.

Meera looked around at her people as they congratulated her as if she had been the one to lead the battles instead of her uncle and cousin. She looked over her shoulder to the palace gates that were beginning to fill up with well wishers who were hoping for some handouts and more news. Meera picked up her dress and turned on her balls of her heels to race out of the city towards the temple. The bells on her silk slippers rang with each step she took, announcing her arrival before her shadows could reach the steps of the white marble structure. The white sandy path that led up to the steps of the grand building seemed longer than usual as Meera fought against the strong ocean winds. When she finally arrived, she pushed the heavy doors open with both hands and shouted with happiness.

"We won!"

Sion, the head priest of the temple, turned to face Meera as she ran towards him like a gust of wild wind.

"Sion, we won the war!" Meera yelled.

Near the ancient stone altar, where the air was thick with the scent of burning incense, a small, unassuming fountain stood as a tranquil centerpiece. At first, there was a barely any tremor in the water within the fountain. But then, as Meera approched, the water erupted with a startling ferocity. It leaped up from the fountain's basin in exuberant defiance of gravity, its liquid form dancing with newfound life.

The splashes that followed were as carefree and wild like the look in Meera's eyes. It was as if the very water itself had come alive. Droplets soared through the air, catching the flickering candlelight and scattering it into a mesmerizing array of shimmering rainbows. The sweet sound of water droplets hitting the marble floors filled the temple as Meera paused to catch her breath.

"We won," she said once more, her breathing labored and her deep brown eyes sparkling.

"I've heard," Sion, an elderly bald man wrapped in simple white cotton robe, looked at the water from the corner of his eyes with a hint of disapproval. "Slow down now, Princess. The walls have eyes and ears."

"We won the war," Meera laughed, trying to catch her breath as she straightened up and laughed with joy. "Uncle Neftali and Ozmen are coming home. We have to prepare for their arrival."

"I'm sure Queen Iris will take care of everything," Sion assured her. "I must prepare for the welcoming ceremony. I suggest you go back to the palace and help out your aunt and cousin."

"Do you need help here?" Meera asked, looking around at the temple.

"You can start by cleaning up the mess you just made," Sion pointed to the puddles of water on the floor. "Really, Meera. You must be more careful."

"My apologies."

Meera quickly spoke up and raised her hands before her. Her fingertips tingling with the anticipation of what was to come. Her eyes, deep like the ocean's depths, fixated on the water that had splashed across the smooth floor. It glistened like liquid crystal beneath the temple's soft, flickering candlelight.