35. Homeward

"Captain, sir," a hollow voice resounded through the voice pipe above my desk.

"Aye, Captain."

"Watch Officer, sir. Four bells approaches."

"Thank you, Mister Martin. We shall be directly up."

Gillian stood and gathered the papers into the leather portfolio, and when done, I adjusted the black band on her arm. After she had examined mine, she asked, "Ready?"

"No. One can never be ready for such occasions." I thumbed another tear from my cheek. "Becomes more difficult as it approaches. The renewed memories."

She turned and wrapped her arms around me, laying her cheek against the velvet front of my justaucorps. "We have each other for support, Jarvis. We must present a brave face to them."

"Aye." I took her hand and led her out of our cabin toward the staircase.

She gathered her voluminous skirts and lifted them aside to prevent tripping on the steps as she slowly ascended. "How awkward this is. But the formality is necessary."

"Indeed. As Father would have expected."

"Ummm, and mine."

Mister Martin greeted us when we stepped onto the quarterdeck, "My, what a splendid pair." He looked down at his shirtsleeves and cumberbund and chuckled. "Left my finery aboard Belmonda."

"Aye, and many souls. The hundreds of slaves locked in the holds."

Martin's face reddened. "Sorry, sir. Not a time for humour."

"No, it is me. Tense and disquieted. Humour is fine, and it might help us past the grief."

He nodded and pointed toward the sandglasses. "Nearly run, sir. Appears another three or four minutes."

"Fine. Ring all hands."

"Now, sir?"

"Yes, a few minutes matter not; we have lost all semblance of precision with time."

"Aye, sir. All hands."

While it rang and was being called, Martin said, "With the sky now clear, we can shoot the sun's merpass to set the time, sir."

"Aye, but in here, we have no horizon."

He pointed aloft. "I can shoot it from the gallant top, sir."

"True. But with no close estimate of time – and with it nearly overhead, you will be there for a long while watching for its cresting. Better to await sunset at sea – besides, it is more accurate."

"Aye, sir."

We remained silent while the hands assembled below us, and I gathered my thoughts. When Martin informed me all were present, I took Gillian's hand and moved to the forward rail, flanked by Judith and the officers.

After sweeping my gaze back and forth across those below, I said, "Before we begin the service, I confirm that we will sail as soon as the wind rises." I pointed toward the mangrove tops. "There, the leaves are again moving, so by early afternoon, we will be again at sea. And, yes, you may shout your huzzahs."

When the hoots and whistles had sufficiently subsided, I called above the remaining hubbub, "We will bend on and adjust the sails as they are completed, but there is no need to rush. We can sail in our present state and add the remainder as we head homeward."

Again, a chorus of cheers arose, and I called above it, "But before we do that ..."

I waited for quiet, then repeated, "Before we sail, we must honour those we leave behind."