33. The Way Onward

I offered Gillian my elbow and led her toward the officers and mates, their mouths opening and eyes widening as they examined us. "Your expressions prompt me that you have not before seen our mess undress – the cumberbund replacing the formality of the waistcoat and justaucorps. This is what we wear when at ease beyond sight of the crew."

"Should wear that all the time in the Tropics, sir." Bosun laughed. "I sweat just looking at the officers fully swaddled beneath the beating sun."

"Aye, as the Baroness suggested. And since our new officers have no finery aboard, we shall do that, the bright cumberbund serving to easily identify their standing and authority."

Martin chuckled. "I left my silken sashes aboard Belmonda, sir."

"You should find some among the ..." I paused, my smile changing to a wince as I nodded toward the cabin doors. "Among the belongings of those no longer with us. Which reminds me. Before we sail onward, we must conduct a memorial service for those departed."

Gillian squeezed my hand, nodding. "You had said there are lists of the passengers and crew."

"Yes, I must search through ..." I grimaced. "... through Father's desk for them."

"I can do that if it is too difficult for you." Then, probing my ring with her fingers, she continued, "Why have I not before noticed this?"

" Then, probing my ring with her fingers, she continued, "Why have I not before noticed this?"

When she lifted my hand to examine it, I said, "A gift from Father last month on my birthday. The Overton arms, deeply engraved to serve as a seal."

"Oh, my! So exquisitely wrought. Who crafted it? We must have them do one with the Cavendish arms for you."

"For me?"

"Yes, I expect you to assist me with the administration. Father familiarised me with most of it; though, I still have much to learn."

I was about to reply when Evans said, "If I may, Your Ladyship. I know little beyond the sea. What is involved in administering a Barony?"

"It depends upon its nature – some are simple, others more complex. On our Berkshire estate, we rear sheep for wool to supply our spinners and weavers. We have apple, pear and plum orchards to maintain, harvest and sell, either fresh, dried or preserved. We also breed and train horses for riding and carriages. In London, Windsor, Langley and Slough, we have many houses and mercantile buildings whose rents, leases and maintenance need oversight."

She paused and shrugged. "There are many other ventures, but most important of them all is the welfare of our more than five hundred staff and labourers – plus their families."

"Oh! Far more complex than captaining a ship."

Gillian chuckled. "Except we have no need to navigate it anywhere, nor to escape from pirates or hide it from hurricanes. It is a simpler and gentler pursuit."