1. Realisations

Monday, 6th June, 1718
Gulf of Florida or Bahama

When the wallowing eased and then stopped, I realised we were underway. But not by sail; too much damage and insufficient crew for that. They have taken us in tow. To where? Matters not. Our fate is the same.

I examined our guards again. Still only the two – one at each door. And each with two pistols. How many other men did they leave aboard? What would they need? A helmsman to follow in the wake. Who else? Depends on where they take us. A day and more to New Providence, two to Charles Town. An overnight or two to either, so the guards and helmsman need relief ...

My thinking was interrupted by a woman's voice, "What will they do with us, sir?"

I looked up from my thoughts and shrugged. "They will sell us."

She slapped a hand to her mouth. "Oh, dear Lord. Why do you think this?"

"I have read many reports on it, and Father often spoke about his observations in Port Royal. Captured cargo and crew are sold by auction to the highest bidders."

"Even the passengers?"

"All, my lady. Nobility, gentry, commoners, it matters not to them." I winced at the thought of how the women will be used, particularly one so beautiful.

She tilted her head toward the other young woman across the way. "We have means. We can purchase our freedom."

"They have taken our purses, and we no longer have access to our quarters. What had been ours is now theirs."

"Mother has influence."

"Influence matters not to pirates." I guided her past rows of slung hammocks and away from the ogling of the guards.

She swivelled her head, surveying the space. "From its lack of refinement, this appears to be the crew's quarters."

"Aye, the forecastle mess – the fo'c'sle, as the hands call it."

"Where are they all?"

I winced. "These are all who survived. Six passengers and about twenty-five crew – with everyone moving about to find and console those they know, my counts do not agree one to the next."

"And there are those taken to the infirmary for the surgeon's care."

"I wish that were true."

She cocked her head. "Before I was forced in here, I saw them carry away some injured."

"To cast overboard. The maimed and infirm are nearly impossible to sell as slaves."

"Oh, dear Lord! Mother was among them." She collapsed onto me, and I knew not what to do. Where not to touch. I cupped her head as she pressed her face onto the velvet front of my frock, my other hand finding a safe place in the middle of her back.

As her shuddering increased and became deep sobs and hiccoughs, I recalled what my governess had done to comfort me, and I tried to imitate. Pleased by her response, I adjusted my hand pulsing and stroking as she slowly calmed. "You have my deepest sympathy, my lady."

I felt her head nod against my chest, but she remained silent except for her quiet sobbing and sniffling. While I wondered whether I should offer her my handkerchief, the other young lady arrived and said, "Sir! This is neither the time nor the place for that."

As I eased my embrace, a trembling voice came from next to my chest, "Continue enfolding me, sir. Tighter. Allow me the strength to inform Judith."

A short while later, with two sobbing women clinging to me, I startled at Jenson's voice, "Twenty-seven of them, sir. Plus six of the passengers."