29. Make Ready

While the thunderstorm's hail pelted our decks, I continued addressing the crew. "Atlantica's position in this narrow slot is protected on all sides by tall mangrove trees, most rising fifty feet and more. From the lookout position on the gallant top, our height of eye is sixty-five feet, and a few of the trees exceed that height. This dense rim of forest will screen the direct wind from all but our topgallant and royal."

I enjoyed the smiles and nods from many. "But it will swirl over the treetops and eddy about in here; though, its violence will be much reduced. We can expect the water to rise several feet beyond the level of high tide, and the seas will wash over the land and through the mangroves into here."

"This sounds like biblical fantasy. Why would the water rise?"

"Two factors, Mister Stawell. One is from the stacking of waves pushed in advance of the storm, and the other is caused by the much reduced atmospheric pressure. With less weight of air pressing down on it, the sea level rises." I pointed through the open door. "We have already seen the tide rise above the normal highwater stains and growths on the mangrove roots while the barometer fell."

Stawell nodded, remaining silent, so I continued, "We can expect the water to surge about in here, though the force of ocean's seas and swells will be rendered benign by the trees. I have heard such storms called horrorcanes and hurlicanes, but the proper word is hurricane, which comes from the indigenous people's word, hurakán, which the Spanish adopted, and then, we from them.

I paused and shrugged. "But we are snug in here, so except for the howl of the wind and the occasional crack, crash and splash of breaking trees and the smacks of rent branches striking the ship, I expect it to be calmer than sailing on the open ocean in normal conditions."

"Like we saw two years past, sir."

"Exactly! And we can use the time to make and mend and to rest. We will maintain the watch rotation – essential to monitor the state of our moorings and the security of lashings and battens and to be ever ready to handle arisings. And for this, we are fortunate to have the worst of the storm during daylight hours. By nightfall, it should be waning."

I pointed out through the door again, "There, the hail has eased, and the morning's sun peeks under the receding storm to light the deck. Master Jenson, you have the watch. Take charge of ensuring all is ready."

"Aye, sir. Make ready."

Hands immediately rose from the deck, anticipating orders, and I delighted in their eagerness. While they gathered around their leaders, Mister Stawell stood from his chair and approached me. Oh, dear Lord! What now?

"Your bearing, manner and knowledge impress me, Captain. I can see why the Baroness has taken to you."

"Thank you, Mister Stawell." Complimentary, but what are his intentions?

"I have not seen her at the dining table nor in the lounging area."

"There are insufficient undamaged cabins down there for all the passengers and mates, so she has been moved up here with the officers."

"For a lady of her standing, it is improper for her to live with her betrothed until wed."

"It would be impossible not to in this ship. The arrangement of quarters precludes being separated by more than thirty feet." I pointed toward the doors along the port side. "Besides, her companion, Lady Judith, accompanied her here to ensure propriety is maintained."

"Hah! She is too busy with Mister Jenson to keep you from frolicking with the Baroness."

I shrugged. "That may or may not be so. But spending time together is one of the aspects of being betrothed, and it is essential to getting to know each other. Among my delights is frolicking intellectually with her. She has a mind as sharp and quick as mine, if not more so, and I find her tutoring to have been broad, deep and thorough, her grasp of it complete and her deductive reasoning and synthesis outstanding."