2. Of Nethers Strong and Weak

I stared in disbelief as Gillian turned toward the guard, her pudenda in full view. He appeared confused, his head flipping back and forth between the triangle of golden hair and the graceful rounding of Judith's backside.

Then came a sharp crack followed by a dull thud as the guard crumpled to the deck. I had not seen the strike – only its aftermath – my eyes captivated by the displays. Satisfied the ruse had worked, I returned my attention to the women to see their skirts were again proper, and I nodded a quiet smile as I walked across the forecastle mess toward them.

Together, we watched the men remove the pistols from the guard's cincture, strip off his clothes and stuff a wad of shirttail in his mouth. Then, with it bound in place and the pirate doubled over, they trussed him much as a plucked fowl for roasting.

As they dragged him away, Gillian turned to me, spreading her arms, and in a trembling voice, she asked, "Will you again comfort me, sir? I have not before done anything near so bold, and I fear I will now be seen as a loose woman."

I pulled her close to me, our hands again finding their places. "No, not loose. I see you as a cunning –"

"Oh, dear Lord! Worse than I had feared." Her trembling increased, and she pressed her face into my chest.

"Huh? I do not understand your pother."

"You will now think only of my cunny."

"No, no, no. You misunderstand, Gillian. Cunning, as in wily, sly and artful. And I also see you as an inventive and courageous young lady."

"Oh!"

"Indeed! But none will have seen its details – only your intriguing triangle of golden hair."

"Oh, good Lord! Had I raised my skirts that high?"

"Forgive me, my lady; I could not divert my eyes. But that aside, all those here will realise that your superbly played act has opened the door to our freedom. How, pray tell, did you conceive such a fine scheme?"

She shrugged. "Through imitation. From my bedchamber windows in our Pall Mall house, I had on many occasions seen strumpets distracting gentlemen for the pickpockets and purse-cutters. It was then that I realised it is one of the few powers women have over men – though I have not until now used it."

"Aye, a man's innate carnal urge is strong, often to distraction ..."

I paused as Jenson said, "Sir, the other guard is now senseless, disarmed and gagged, and he is being stripped and bound."

"Excellent!" Then turning my head, I raised my voice. "Well done, all. Now, let us not lose our focus. We must remain as though still guarded. We expect that men will arrive to relieve the guards, and for the continuation of our ruse, they should see nothing amiss when they enter."

"When'll that be, sir?" a voice asked.

"If we knew, our task would be easier. My pocketwatch has been taken, we have no sand glass to measure the passing of time, nor have I heard the bell struck to mark it. We must remain ever prepared while appearing as subdued captives, so we can surprise and disarm them."

"After we's seized 'em, what next?" another voice asked.

"There remains much unknown to both them and us, and it is best that we assess the situation as it unfolds. But now, we must revert to being captives – or feigning such. Use this opportunity to rest; we have much yet to do before we regain our freedom. But regain it, we shall."

As huzzahs began, I held up my hand, raised my voice and said, "Hist, hist! They might hear."

When silence returned, I asked Jenson, "Did the guards have powder flasks and shot pouches?"