20. Aboard

After the hands had clambered up Atlantica's side from the longboat, Jenson bade the coxswain away, directing him around to the ship's starboard side. There, he and a hand made a line of soundings to seaward, and when done, he said to me, "The bottom is a steady slope from twelve to fourteen and a half feet, sir."

"Aye, as we suspected – she is in peril of falling far to starboard. Safest to hold her short of vertical."

He nodded, and after directing the boat around to the bows, he called up, "Hoy, Hudson."

"Aye, sir."

"Tell me when you are ready to ease her."

"Ready now, sir."

"Fine. As we discussed, hold her short of upright. Watch for my signal and my call."

"Aye, sir. Watch for hold signal."

"Ease away."

"Aye, sir. Ease."

Lines chirped, and blocks squealed as Atlantica's masts slowly rose to Hudson's orders. With about five degrees of cant remaining, the lines fell slack, and I assumed her keel stopped her there.

Jason raised his arms and crossed them above his head as he called. "Cease easing, Hudson."

"Aye, sir. Cease." Then, he chuckled. "She knew where to stop, sir."

"Indeed. Take up the slack and secure."

"Aye, sir. Down slack and turn to the bitts."

I heaved a sigh of relief. "Well done, Master."

"Thank you, Sir."

"As soon as hands are free, rig the accommodation ladder."

"Aye, sir. Judith told me about the need. Hudson has been instructed."

When the ladder was rigged, I followed the two ladies up, leaving Jenson in the boat to continue sounding. As we arrived on deck, Gillian asked, "Why do you call the stairs a ladder?"

"All are called ladders aboard. Father said it comes from the days when they were all vertical – or nearly so." I pointed aft. "The only exception is a spiral staircase, such as the one from the great cabin up to the quarterdeck."

"And the one down to our cabins and the lounging and dining area." She tilted her head. "What do you call that place?"

"The passenger accommodations. They suffered heavy damage from the attack."

Gillian nodded and winced. "My pouch of mice and jars of willow bark are there. And my combs and ribbons. The Hyères and Castille soaps. The ampoules of rose, sandalwood and bergamot oil. My skirts, chemises, bodices, shoes – everything."

Oh, my! So complex being a woman. I took her hand. "Come, we shall see what has survived."

As we descended the staircase, I was relieved that it appeared less a shambles than I had imagined. Then, seeing the piles of splintered wood and bloodied cloths with pieces rent from bodies, I realised the hands had begun cleaning but not finished. "Avert your eyes, ladies. Look straight ahead or to the left."

My warning came too late as Judith wretched.

"Sorry. I should have examined the area first." I reached out to Gillian and pulled her to my chest, cupping the back of her head and laying it on my shoulder.

When I felt her trembling ease, I asked. "Which cabin was yours?"

"P-2."

"To port. Likely less damaged. You assist Judith while I examine it."