14. Ashore

Atlantica's shuddering lasted but a few seconds as her keel ploughed into the sandy bottom and brought her to a stop. I took a minute to survey her location, then I said to Jenson, "The bow draws fifteen inches less than the stern. Should we have it pulled sidewards until it also fetches bottom?"

"We could, sir. But with the tide still rising for another hour or more, It might be best to use the time to land the passengers and those of the crew who are not needed aboard."

"Wise thinking, Master. Have all hands rung again."

"Aye, sir. All hands."

While the bell pealed, I called down to Bosun, "Have the longboat approach our port side. They may listen from there."

"Aye, sir."

When all had gathered, I said in an elevated voice, "Though we have found bottom, the tide continues rising. While we await that, all those not required aboard will be landed. Ensure that everything moveable in your quarters and spaces is shifted to port or secured that it not shift. I anticipate careening beyond twenty degrees – possibly as much as thirty, so arrange with this in mind."

One of the passengers, the blotchy-faced one, swept an arm past the tangle of mangrove roots. "Where will we find comfort in that ungodly mess?"

"Not in it." I turned and pointed over the port quarter. "A small inlet lies a hundred yards astern, and from its head, a glade leads beyond the mangroves to a seashore of fine sand. There, you will find coconut groves to offer shade from the sun."

I scanned the faces below. "Who among you were here two years past when we weathered the hurricane?"

Two called and raised their hands.

"Have you been given tasks for the careening?"

One spoke up. "Not me, sir. Been on the bilge pumps, then stood down when we took bottom."

"You need to rest your arms. What is your name?"

"Burton, sir."

"Fine, Burton, you are in charge of the group."

"Not ever been in charge before, sir."

"Then, this is a fine time to begin. You have seen how others do it. Copy their manner. Your duty is to guide them, and they will assist you with that if needed."

"Aye, sir."

I searched my mind for what else, then called, "Cookery Mate."

"Aye, sir."

"Skins of water, tankards and two firkins of ale to the boat. Also, a chopping board and some heavy knives. A tinder box. Whatever else you see needed to prepare and serve coconuts and griddled lobsters."

"Aye, sir. Should I add taters and a tub of butter to accompany? Some lemons for piquancy?"

"Ooh, excellent ideas. Yes, please."

After a few more directions, I called, "Bosun."

"Aye. sir."

"Rig the accommodation ladder."

"Aye, sir. Rig ladder."

"Those going ashore now, one last check of your areas to ensure all is secure." I paused to gather my thoughts, and thinking of nothing further, I added. "Fine, we all know what to do, so let us get on with it."

Then, turning toward Gillian and Judith at the rail, I beckoned them, and as they approached, I said, "It will be best that you wear breeches. Not only would it be dangerous descending the ladder in skirts, but it would give those below a fine view up them."