(39) Heathen Friends

"You know what I'm going to say—"

"I really like him, Justin."

 "So, what do you guys want to do?" Jess walks a few steps ahead of them along the raised border between the sidewalk and the beach. Reggie can't help but watch her walk forward, her arms stretched out to the side to balance as she places one foot strategically after another. Her left arm is pointed towards the boys, and only when the sun shines at just the right angle does Reggie get a sense of how bent her arm truly is. His chest tightens, though he does not really understand why.

"Shouldn't we be leading you around?" Luke asks with a smile as he surges ahead of them and turns back, holding his arms out. "This is our city. We know all the best spots. Like, oh! Do you know about..."

Luke continues musing about all the spots they know about all over the city, even as Jess hops off the barrier and settles next to Reggie with a small smile before listening intently to Luke's antics.

Without really thinking, Reggie swings his arm over her shoulder, letting most of his weight rest on her while tucking her left side closer to him. Looking out at the ocean, he rests his chin on the crown of her head for a moment and smiles to himself.

"Earth to Jess?" He hears Alex ask. "You functioning?"

"No," she replies. He can feel the vibrations through their contact. "I-I mean, yeah, I was listening. That was your question, right?"

Reggie chuckles to himself. "God, I missed you," he says to himself.

He feels her relax against him before she shakes her head, effectively getting him to move his own, though he keeps his arm around her shoulders. As Luke leads them around, Alex is the only one participating in the conversation. Reggie just keeps to himself with only an odd comment here and there. Sometimes, he gets the sense Jess is getting in her head too much—that's when he speaks up.

As they come upon a familiar pier by Reggie's old house, Jess points towards it and asks, "Didn't you guys play here at some point?"

"Yeah, every week of summer," Luke replies with a smile, though it quickly falls off as he continues. "It was easy 'cause Reggie lived so close, and Bobby... We got a lot of tips here."

They come to a stop by the start of the pier where a band plays with an open guitar case. Alex purses his lips and comes up to Jess' free side. "I'm gonna guess fifty percent of the tips we made here were from you?"

"Not that much," Jess says. "Senior summer, I was saving all the cash I could. I did leave twenty bucks near the end of the summer though."

"Called it!" Alex exclaims excitedly as he throws his hands up in victory.