(28) Secret Dealings

"You just cost me a band!"

     "I know. I'm here to offer something better."

REGGIE groans as he feels himself reappear, but he doesn't immediately recognize where he is. He glances at his friends to see them both wearing new, colorful suits. When he looks down, he sees himself in a red suit with his guitar strap over his shoulder. His fingers trail over the Julie and the Phantoms patch.

Then he notices it is only the three boys.

"Where's Jess?" He asks, spinning around in a circle.

"Oh, I left her in the studio." The voice makes his blood boil. Not much upsets Reggie like Caleb Covington topped only by Bobby, that thief. "Don't worry, I'm sure she's fine," Caleb says as he steps in front of them with a nail file in hand. "After all, I have a lot more time to get to know her. You three...I don't think you have much time left, do you? But at least you look nice."

"Sweet threads," Reggie mutters a bit louder than he intended.

"How'd you know our sizes?" Alex asks.

Luke shakes his head angrily as he adjusts the collar of his suit. "That's your question?"

"I know you boys aren't my biggest fans. And an eternity at my club might seem overwhelming. But, I just put you in sweet threads, so humor me this one last pitch." Caleb hands a nearby waiter his nail file. "Now, for starters, isn't it nice that you're all here together? And, believe me, everything you want, including Willie, is here."

Reggie glances at Alex to see him shift under Caleb's gaze. That's when he feels the man look at him.

"Plus, you'd be able to see Jess and your friends whenever you like," Caleb explains before turning to Luke. "And, on my stage, you don't vanish when the music stops. You soak in the applause for as long as you want. The connection that you will feel with that audience will be like no other. I promise."

Cheers from the audience just beyond the sparkly streamers interrupt the older ghost.

"Oh, shh. Do you hear that? They're waiting for you."

A jolt of pain makes Reggie bend over.

Caleb winces, stepping back. "That one looked like it hurt. Now, let me remind you, you don't know if playing the Orpheum is your unfinished business. Do you really have time to make that mistake? I suggest you accept my offer because the clock is ticking."

Another jolt of pain runs down Reggie's body. He groans, clutching his stomach.

"Ouch," Caleb says. "You know where to find me." The man rips the screen of sparkles away with a grin as a spotlight lands on him. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm back! Hello, hello, hello!"