(16) Protect the Witch

"I don't see anything."

"I added something

"I added something. See?"

     PRACTICE was fun to watch, especially after Luke showed up. Jess spent the whole time sketching in her notebook while the band rehearsed while Justin just watched. She would tease him later, but she was happy he liked them. Truth be told, she was nervous they wouldn't get along—the boys and Justin. Competing personalities and all. But, thankfully, they all became fast friends.

     Her mind sometimes drifts to the ghost club and panic takes hold of her. She doesn't know if anyone notices, but she finds herself thinking about both the club and the illustrious Caleb Covington more than she wants to admit. Especially with her sketch of his face somewhere in this very notebook just waiting to be seen by someone.

     She didn't have the heart to ask what they had seen when they snooped through her book, but she hopes they only saw the beginning if anything. This notebook isn't like her other ones: this is her first. This one isn't for mindless doodles or butterflies. It is for masterpieces, like the sketch she gave the boys.

     Jess is currently working on a new one with Julie. All she has so far are the instruments assembled in her signature JN flow across the page. Unfortunately, the band chooses the worst time to disperse—Julie returns to her house and Justin leaves the four ghosts to their devices.

     Jess pouts when he leaves, but they both know it's just for show. She waits until his car leaves before she really looks back at the band; Luke is tuning his guitar with Reggie while Alex twirls his drum sticks.

     With a sigh, she places her notebook on the table and stands, wrapping her arms around herself. "Can I ask you guys something?"

     All three look up. "Yeah, what's up?" Luke asks, quickly returning to his guitar.

     She bites the inside of her lip as she takes a deep breath. "If you guys ever tell Justin about where we were last night..." Now, she's got their attention. "Do you think you could...Maybe, you could leave Caleb out of it?"

     Alex frowns. "Why? Does he know Caleb?"

     "No, he doesn't." The lie spills from her lips before she can stop it. "I just...I don't want him to go looking for the club for some reason, you know?"

     The boys exchange a look before nodding.

     "Thank you." A smile breaks onto her face. "As payment, maybe I can show you your band logo? Julie approved it, so we're good to go."

     Reggie swings his guitar over his shoulder and jumps over the coffee table excitedly, shouting, "Yes! Yes! Show us!"

     Jess blushes as she picks up the notebook and flips to the right page, showing Reggie first as he looks over her shoulder. She watches his expression carefully, grinning when he says, "Wow, that's cool! It's so curvy."