Epilogue

"I'm trying to keep them safe like Jess wanted."

     "She also wanted you to be safe

"She also wanted you to be safe."

     JUSTIN feels bad. Not just guilty—bad.

     Everything feels so wrong. She shouldn't be mad at the guys, but he is. He shouldn't hold them accountable, but he does. He can't help it. He wasn't ready to lose Jess, not yet.

     He stands in front of Julie's door with some dahlias in hand. When she opens the door, he instantly holds the flowers out. "Please don't be mad at me," he says.

     Julie sighs, taking the flowers from him with a sad look. "The boys are in the garage," she replies.

     "I just want to talk to you, if that's ok."

     Julie lets him in, sitting him in the living room. "The boys know not to come in while my dad's home." She motions to her father who is on the phone in the other room. "We'll be good here."

     Justin nods, nervously running his hands over his jeans. "I know I was...very harsh on them after the gig."

     "Yeah," Julie replies. "You were. They were all a bit heartbroken, to be honest."

     Justin looks down at his hands. "I know I shouldn't be mad with them, but..."

     "They showed me the letter." Julie tentatively reaches forward and laces her fingers with his. "I'm so sorry you found out about your dad like that. If I'd have known...Honestly, if I knew, Jess probably wouldn't have let me tell you. I don't think the boys really knew either. It was a shock to them too."

     "That's Jess for you. It's a little weird thinking of him as Caleb Covington and not just Dad." Justin squeezes her hand tightly. "While I might not be able to look at the boys, I just..." He meets her gaze tentatively. "I wanted to make sure that you knew you did amazing last night. Jess would've loved it."

     "We want to help you," Julie says. "Truly. We want to get Jess back. She's our friend too."

     Justin bites the inside of his cheek enough to taste blood. "You read that note, Julie. Jess didn't want any of you involved."

     Julie searches the side of his face as he pulls away. He knows he shouldn't have said it. "You're not mad at them, are you?" She asks.

     "Jess didn't want them anywhere near my dad," Justin replies softly. "I'm trying to keep them safe like Jess wanted."

     "She also wanted you to be safe."

     "Yeah, well, I'm getting her back." Averting his gaze, he finds himself looking in the direction of the garage. "Just...give me some time. I'll figure out a way to talk to them again without getting them involved in my rescue plan."

     "So you have a plan?"

     "Nope. I don't even know where they are."

     Julie sighs, shaking her head. "You might if you let us help."

     In response, Justin stands from the couch, shaking his head. "Give me some time," he repeats. "I gotta get going, but please...Don't tell the guys. I really just want them to be safe. From my decisions...and my dad's."

     "I'm not a great secret keeper, but I'll try," Julie says with a nod before she opens the door. "Oh, Nick, hey." Justin glances over her shoulder to see Nick holding flowers out for her. "Aw, thanks."

     "Well, I'll leave you guys," Justin says, slipping past Julie and next to Nick. "But again, great job, Julie. You rocked it last night."

     She smiles as Nick stares at him. "Justin?" Nick asks.

     "Yep?" Justin glances at his friend.

     The boy shakes his head. "I...What are you doing here?"

     "Oh, I just wanted to congratulate Julie on the performance yesterday," Justin replies. "You know me. Plus, I wanted to convey a message from a friend of mine who missed the show." He looks over at Julie. "She would've really loved it."

     "Oh."

     "Yeah, oh," Justin chuckles. "You ok, man? You seem off."

     "Totally cool." Nick gives him a thumbs up.

     Justin narrows his eyes. "Ok. See you guys at school. I'm off." He awkwardly purses his lips and walks away, glancing over his shoulder at Nick. Something felt very off about the boy.

     Oh, well, Justin thinks to himself. Probably just the crush on Julie. Doesn't matter. What matters is finding Jess.

     As he slips into his car, he picks up one of her old notebooks that sits on the passenger's seat. "Ok," he says aloud. "Where to first?"

✿ ✿ Author'sNote ✿ ✿

That's it, you guys! At least, for now. I hope to continue when NETFLIX RENEWS FOR A SECOND SEASON! I also have a question for you all: I have a few chapters/scenes written about Jess' time when she was alive. Would you be interested in bonus chapters?

Hope you enjoyed!

-L