(26) I See Ghosts

"You don't believe me, do you?" 

     "I believe that you are seeing something

"I believe that you are seeing something."

     JESS had been acting strange since they had left the garage. Justin knows she's always quiet, but this is different; she's almost too quiet. He can't tell if it's because of yesterday's episode or if it's something else—something worse.

     "You know it'll be ok, right?" He asks as they comb through his closet for an appropriate outfit. "They'll be ok."

     "I know," she replies as she takes out a nice pair of ripped jeans from the closet and runs her fingers over them. "I just...I realized we don't have a backup. If something goes wrong, everything falls apart." When she looks up, he catches the look of apprehension on her face. "Plus, I, uh...I've been thinking about Zoe."

     "What about her?" Justin asks, sitting on the bed.

     Jess gulps as she faces back towards the closet. "I think you should tell her."

     "Tell her what?"

     She doesn't answer.

     "Oh." Justin shifts uncomfortably. "Why now?"

     "She's going with you to the Orpheum tonight, right?" Jess glances over her shoulder. "She's gonna see three boys who she thought died years ago. I don't know how you'd explain that or how there are a lot more notebooks in the attic than there used to be. I just think it might be better to tell her rather than make her figure it out on her own."

     Justin looks down at his hands and shakes his head. "She won't believe me."

     "Yes, she will—"

     "No, she won't," Justin replies. Jess turns around and leans against the closet door with her hands crossed over her stomach. "The only person I've ever told without evidence was my dad, ok? And then he died. I told him, he said I was crazy, and left. You really think Mom would react any differently?"

     She stays quiet for a moment before she steps over to Justin's pillow and takes out a slip of paper he had forgotten was even there. Unfolding it to show him, Jess says, "You have the proof right here. And if she still doesn't believe you, then the band will convince her."

     He shakes his head. "I don't know."

     "You don't have to," Jess says as she sits next to him, placing a hand over his. "It's just a thought. It's entirely your decision. I just thought..." Her grip tightens. "It's silly. Forget I said anything."