(21) Mark Of The Devil

"You made him mad."

"You should go before he realizes you're gone

"You should go before he realizes you're gone."

     AS Jess stands in front of the sleeping family, both Zoe and Justin fast asleep in each other's arms on their couch, she feels her hands begin to tremble enough to shove them into her pockets. She looks at the peaceful expressions on their faces, so different from how they were sobbing only twenty minutes earlier because of a door. Sometimes, like tonight, it pains her to poof away, but she knows it's for the best.

     She appears in front of Julie's garage in time for a basketball to fly at her head. With a loud yell, she ducks as the ball flies over her head.

     "Luke! You almost hit Jess!"

     Jess slowly opens her eyes as Reggie rushes over to her and helps her up from her spot on the ground. "It's ok. I should've poofed somewhere else," she says with a gulp before she picks up the basketball that had rolled next to her. "You know you don't have to do sports anymore, right? I thought us art people stood in solidarity over hating physical exercise."

     "Yeah, but we're guys," Luke responds.

     "So?"

     He shrugs.

     Jess shakes her head with a small laugh. "I guess the nice part about being a ghost is I stay this way forever. I don't have to do anything."

     "True," Alex chuckles. "What brings you here?"

     Jess' smile falters. "Can't I spend the night with you guys?" Her eyes widen. "I mean, like, to hang out. That came out wrong. You know what I mean, right?"

     Reggie nods with a loud laugh. "How can we say no to that? But seriously, I think we should be celebrating or something. Anyone have any ideas?"

     Suddenly, a light flashes in each of the boys' chests, making them groan and fall to the pavement. Jess gasps as the basketball falls from her fingertips before she kneels next to Reggie, who happens to be closest. "What just happened?" She asks, watching Reggie cough in pain. "What was that? Are you guys ok?"

     "That wasn't like the other ones," Luke says. "It's getting worse."

     "Other ones?" Jess squeaks, helping Reggie to his feet. She lets him lean against her, even though the other boys seem to be standing just fine on their own. "How long has this been going on? Why didn't you tell me? Or Justin or Julie?" The humans come as afterthoughts.

     "It's been happening since the club," Alex admits reluctantly, wincing when Luke smacks his chest. "What? She deserves to know!"

     "Why is this happening to us?" Reggie groans.