(5) Holograms or Ghosts

"You're a high schooler."

"And? Your point?"

"And? Your point?"

     JUSTIN shakes his head as he watches Julie go into panic mode on stage. The young girl stares at everyone with wide eyes as the stage manager asks about the band. Her eyes fall on him.

     "Do something," Jess whispers, slapping his arm.

     "Holograms!" Justin says loudly. The whole school turns to him as he laughs awkwardly. "Gotta be, right? Holograms?"

     "Yes!" Julie replies. "Yes, holograms. I plugged them into the ceiling projector before the show. I'd explain it, but it involves algorithms and science stuff." The students begin to applaud again while Julie stands there awkwardly soaking it in.

     Justin sighs heavily as he looks beside him to find the three holograms standing beside him and Jess. "Saved it."

     "That's wild," Luke says. "They could see us when we were playing but not when the music ended."

     Reggie nods. "We should double-check." He takes a few steps to get on stage before wiggling around, extending in butt towards the audience. Justin does not need to look at Jess to know her face is completely red. "Yeah, I don't...I don't think they can see us."

     As he returns to the others, Alex mutters, "I wish I couldn't see you."

     Jess stays silent. Justin can tell she's just trying to get the image of Reggie's dance from her mind so she can face them again. Poor girl, there is no getting that image out any time soon.

     "Ok, everyone. Show's over. Let's get back to class!" The principal says loudly, using the students away.

     Justin sighs, following the masses of kids along with most of the band. He notices Reggie sticking behind to talk to Carrie's bandmate while Jess just keeps walking with her head down until she just eventually poofs away.

     "Where'd she go?" Alex asks.

     Shrugging, Justin glances back at Reggie who manages to catch up to them. "Probably getting her sketchbook or hiding in the art room. She does that when she gets overwhelmed." After a moment, the four boys make it to an empty hallway. "That was amazing, by the way. I didn't think anyone could beat Brandon Urie, but Jess was right. Best band ever."

     The boys look at each other, confused.

     "Oh, I'll show you later, don't worry." Justin laughs before narrowing his eyes at the girl sitting at the end of the hall. "One sec." He walks past the band to approach Jess who is furiously sketching in her notebook as she sits against the lockers. "What'cha up to?"