(11) Pre-Game

"This should have a Tok Tik dance to it."

"Tik Tok

"Tik Tok."

     JUSTIN is officially dreading this dance. Maybe not the dance itself, but the hour and a half between the start and Julie's performance? Terrifying.

     Jess had done a good job of distracting him for the afternoon. Once they got back from Carrie's house, Jess had picked out a plethora of outfits for him to try on; the two of them had a mini runway with snacks, laughing the whole time. He's gotta admit, the ghost girl knows how to cheer him up. After the two had chosen their respective outfits—Justin chose a tight maroon top with skinny jeans while Jess decided on mom jeans and a loose-fitting sweater—Jess had started playing with his hair.

     He may or may not have fallen asleep.

     When he woke up, he found Jess in the corner of his room on the beanbag with her notebook in hand. She hadn't moved when she noticed he was awake; she just informed him that he shouldn't move so she could continue drawing him.

     At this point, the only thing keeping his mind off of the dance is his constant pestering to see her sketch.

     "No!" She replies with a laugh. "I'm not done yet. I need to spruce it up and stuff. I'll give it to you later."

     "But I want to see it now," Justin says as he tries to take the notebook forcefully. Jess lets out a playful scream as he starts to chase her around the room until they land in a pile on his bed, both laughing at the top of their lungs.

     "Justin? Honey?"

     The voice makes both of them pause. Both twist onto their stomachs as Zoe Perez steps into the room with a frown. "Hey, Mom," Justin says with a grin.

     Zoe smiles as she leans against the door frame. "Were you talking to someone? I thought I heard you laughing."

     "Oh, just..." Justin pulls his phone from his pocket. "Just Nick. Carrie's going nuts over her next performance."

     As Zoe nods, Jess pulls herself up and motions for Justin to do the same. "She wants to see your outfit," Jess says as she leans against the wall. "Pop off, sis!"

     Justin chokes on his laugh.

     "Did I use that right?"

     Shaking his head, he stands up from the bed and smoothes out his outfit.

     "Oh, honey," Zoe swoons, putting her hands on his shoulders as she looks him up and down before she turns him around. "You look amazing!"

     He blushes. "Uh, thanks."