(13) Disaster Strikes Eleven

"You are my number one. I owe you everything. You are my priority."

"Jess, I don't get what you're saying

"Jess, I don't get what you're saying."

Warning: description of an anxiety/panic attack. Read at your own risk.

     "IS everybody fired up for Julie and the Phantoms?" Flynn shouts over the roaring crowd as students dance all over. Justin smiles at Julie's surprised expression—what did she think? They wouldn't come up with a dope band name? "Great! Keep that fire 'cause that's later. We're a bit behind schedule, but don't worry, just enjoy these mind-blowing beats."

     As Flynn turns up the music and joins the other two, Julie looks at both of them. "Julie and the Phantoms?"

     "Like it?" Justin crosses his arms. "We had some free time in French class."

     "You'd better like it," Flynn says. "because I registered it on Insta, Snapchat, Twitter—"

     "No, I love it," Julie replies with a smile. "But I'd like it even more if the actual phantoms were here."

     And that's when his heart drops. He finds himself leaving the girls to roam the halls. Something doesn't sit right. Jess wouldn't be late unless something happened to her. Especially not tonight when it means so much to Julie, someone Jess has always liked.

     "Come on, Jess. Where are you?" He mutters to himself as he checks his phone. 9:15. "Come on."

     "Justin!" He looks up to see Julie jogging over to him. "Are they here?"

     "I don't know," he replies with a sigh. Letting his head roll back, he winces when it comes in contact with the locker behind him. "She wouldn't miss this, Julie."

     "The boys wouldn't either. Right?"

     Suddenly, they both hear a poofing sound. Justin has never liked the sound before, but everything in him lightens when he hears it. That is until he sees Jess' face.

     Her eyes dart around constantly as she hugs her waist. She shifts her weight between her feet as she hyperventilates, falling to her knees in front of Justin before grasping at her hair. "I'm sorry," she whimpers. "I-I told them twenty minutes. I-I can't go back. I-I'm not—I'm not going back."

     Julie stands there with a shocked look on her face as Justin kneels down beside the ghost, gripping her shoulders. "Jess, hey. It's ok. Just look at me."

     Jess shakes her head and curls into a ball against the lockers, forcing her head between her knees.

     Pursing his lips, Justin turns back to Julie and says, "Give us a minute, ok?"