(14) Halo of Butterflies

"I'm not gonna yell or anything."

"That's almost worse

"That's almost worse."

     THE Hollywood Ghost Club couldn't be more exciting if it tried. Reggie is having the time of his (after)life dancing and swinging with all the dancers and his bandmates. The beginning had been a little rocky when Jess had left so suddenly, but Reggie had gotten sucked back into club life so quickly, the concern he felt magically disappeared.

     That is until he sees a flutter in the corner of his eye.

     The dancer he is with frowns when he suddenly stops dancing and tries to follow his line of sight as the boy takes a step close to the entrance and narrows his eyes. She asks him something, but he doesn't hear her.

     A white butterfly balances on the railing before it flutters out the door.

     Reggie continues staring at it even as it disappears from view. Not even Luke's badgering really jolts him until the boy grabs Reggie by the shirt and yanks him back to reality. "Hey! What the—"

     "Reggie, we were supposed to be at Julie's school at nine!" Luke yells over the music. "H-How long ago did Jess leave? We had twenty minutes!"

     "Maybe we can still make it," Reggie replies as his gaze drifts towards the exit. "Where's Alex? Alex, we forgot—"

     "Up here!" The voice draws both Luke and Reggie to look up. Alex swings from one of the floating circles. "Julie, I know. This place is...one sec—this place is some kind of time warp."

     "Poof down here, bro, we gotta get going!" Luke shouts desperately.

     Once Alex is back on the ground, the three boys race towards the entrance only to be stopped by Caleb Covington himself. "Gentlemen, what's the rush? The party's just getting started, and you have an eternity, after all."

     "You know that girl who can see us?" Reggie says. "We sort of bailed on her. See, there's this dance at her school tonight, and her friend Flynn is, like, a super cool DJ, like—"

     "I don't think he has an eternity to hear the story," Alex says, holding his hand out.

     Luke spreads his arms out. "Basically, we're late for a gig."

     "But what about my offer?" Caleb asks, narrowing his eyes.

     "It's very cool of you, Mr. Covington, but, like I said, we already have a—"

     "A band of your own." Caleb sends them a thin-lipped smile. "I understand. If you ever want to come back and fix that little problem with your friend or if that artist friend of yours ever wants to be seen, the Hollywood Ghost Club is always open."