(20) Backyard Party

"Couldn't help those eyes?"

"I'm not the only one! Don't mock me!"

     AS Jess appears in Julie's crowded backyard, it's hard to find her smile. Even when she finds Justin stepping away from an upset Carrie and walks over to him, the best she can manage is a tight-lipped acknowledgment; however, he is grinning from ear to ear.

     "Good day?" She asks as she looks around the yard. String lights hang over their heads with a grand piano out in front of the studio with has flowers spelling the band's name, but she can't find Julie or the boys anywhere. Not that she'd know what to say or how to act, especially after Reggie's hug earlier in the day.

     "Great day," Justin sighs happily. "I taught Alex the Renegade."

     "On Tok Tik?"

     "You're hopeless," he laughs before really getting a good look at her face. "You ok?"

     She scratches the back of her neck. "Yeah, I just..." Pursing her lips, she sets her gaze on the piano. "I don't want to have to ask you to cover for me. You don't have to. I'll just tell the boys sometime tonight that I'm busy tomorrow."

     He clenches his jaw. "So, tomorrow?"

     "Yeah." With a sigh, she slips her hand in his. "Yeah, it's not gonna be pretty."

     "Do you need me to stay home from school? I'm really good at faking illness," Justin says.

     She knows he wants a laugh, so she chuckles. "No. I'll just stay holed up in the attic, I think. Plus, do the guys even know where you live? Or that Zoe's your mom?"

     With a frown, he shakes his head. "They've never been over. I thought you didn't want them to know about Mom."

     "Oh, I don't really have a preference," Jess replies. "All up to you with that."

     As Justin nods, Flynn's voice booms across the yard: "What's up, everybody? Time to put your hands up, do a little dance, yup. Here's the new anthem from Julie and the Phantoms."

     Carlos and another young boy open up the studio doors to reveal Julie is a gorgeous white and black outfit covering in plastic butterflies. Jess' breath hitches as she looks at the blue and pink clips lining her hairs and whispers, "Oh wow."

     Justin lets out a shocked laugh. "She knows how to dress for a concert, that's for sure."

     "She used butterflies," Jess feels a smile tugging at her lips. "I might cry. We need to get her flowers, I don't care if she bombs this performance. Maybe dahlias? She wore a pin the other night."

     "Thanks for coming, everyone!" Julie says as she sits in front of the piano with a nervous look. In sync, both Jess and Justin flash her a thumbs up before she starts to sing.