May We Meet Again

Start from the beginning

"Clarke," you whisper. She turns. "Be careful." She nods before heading out of the cabin. Madi waits a minute before getting up as well and heading toward the door. "Madi, what the hell are you doing?"

"Going after Clarke," she replies in a 'what do you think I'm doing' tone.

"She's going to kill me if I let you go alone," you mumble, standing up and holding Ben on your hip.

"No, stay with Benny. I got this," she assures. You give her your best parental look but sigh when you can tell she won't budge.

"Fine," you relent. She starts out the door. "Madi, wait a second." She turns around, annoyance clear on her face. You pick up your gun and hand it to her. "Be careful, please." You kiss her forehead and she leans in to give you a side hug.

"I will." With that, she leaves the cabin to go after Clarke.

"I'm such a bad parent," you mumble to myself.

"I think you're great, Mommy," Ben whispers loudly. You smile and kiss his forehead.

"I think you're great, too, Benny." He gives you a toothy grin. You look around for the spare gun you and Clarke keep before spotting it behind the curtain you use as a doodle board. You set Ben down on your bed.

"Don't move," you order. He salutes you like he's seen you sarcastically do to Clarke over the years. You smile to myself and move the bed with Ben on it to reveal the trapdoor underneath. You unlatch it and pick Ben off the bed. You climb down the ladder before looking up at Ben's peering figure. "C'mon, Benny." You urge. He turns and starts to climb carefully down the ladder. You stand at the bottom, prepared to catch him if he slips.

Once he's almost right above you, he lets himself fall backwards. You catch him and set him on the makeshift cot. You hand him the flashlight and kiss his forehead.

"Stay down here and color. Don't leave the hidey hold unless Auntie Clarke, Madi, or Mommy gets you, okay baby?" Ben nods, looking up at you with wide eyes.

"Where are you going?" He asks quietly. The vulnerability in his voice breaks your heart and not for the first time, you wish he weren't born in this vulgar time. You ruffle his hair and he scowls, his adorable nose scrunching up.

"I'm gonna go make sure Auntie Clarke and Madi get back with all the berries," you lie. He nods, happy with your answer and starts to color. "I love you, buddy." You kiss the top of his head and start to climb back up the ladder.

"Love you, too, Mommy." You smile, tears pricking your eyes.

You lock the hatch behind you and move the bed back in place. You grab the gun from behind the doodle board and perch on the bed, staring at the door. A group of footsteps soon makes their way toward the door. Your heart pounds out of your chest as you wait for Clarke or Madi's signature knock, letting you know it's them and not someone else.

How could someone else be down here? Why now? Did the others get out of the bunker?

You may have been okay with dying six years ago, but you're not now. Not when you have Ben and Madi to take care of. The door pushes open and you cock my gun, aiming it at the figure walking through the door. The figure looks at you and you freeze. Your mouth falls open and you drop the gun on the bed. You pinch yourself to make sure you're not dreaming.

"Ouch, fuck," you hiss.

"Nice." You launch off the bed and catapult yourself into John's arms.

"Holy shit, you're actually here," you whisper. John hugs you tight, his chin resting on your head as you sway.