Chapter 44: The Rules

En başından başla

"The exam begins today and lasts for one week, ending on August 7th. The purpose of this test is to determine whether you can live together on an uninhabited island as a group. This test is based on real-world corporate training."

Corporate training? On an uninhabited island? I've heard that some companies sometimes organize trips for their employees to improve camaraderie and teamwork, but this is the first time I've heard of training being done on a remote island.

"Sensei!" a student from class A raised their hand. "I just want to make sure, you said we have to live on the island as a group. Does that mean we really have to stay here for seven days and are not allowed to board the ship?"

The answer to that question was clear enough. "Yes, during the test, you are not allowed to board the ship without a justified reason. You will learn to fend for yourselves during the test. Each class will be given a box of matches. Each student will be given a toothbrush, and girls are allowed to request as many feminine sanitary products as they need, as well as sunscreen."

"I knew it... I knew it..." Gilang muttered. The nature of this special test was not far from his guess. I thought we would be doing some kind of exploration, but the size of this island is too small for that.

"Sensei, I'm sorry but this isn't fair," Kaname from class B voiced her discontent. "We were brought here under the pretext of a vacation. How can we suddenly be asked to participate in a strange exam out of nowhere?"

Many students seemed to agree with Kaname's words. My classmates also showed the same reaction when I first mentioned this exam. Hearing the students' complaints, Takada-sensei showed no change in her expression. She listened to Kaname's question carefully before answering calmly.

"I understand your disappointment, and you don't need to worry, the school will not force you into a difficult situation. The theme of this exam is freedom, so you can still have fun as much as you want during this exam. Depending on the approach you take, this exam can be an unforgettable vacation experience."

They call it an exam, but then they say we're free to have fun. That is indeed a contradiction. Surely some details have not been explained to us, so the best thing to do now is to be quiet and listen. Fortunately, most students understand this and start calming down their friends who still want to complain.

"In addition to what has been mentioned before," Takada-sensei continued. "Each class will be given 300 points. With these points, you can buy various necessities for the next seven days. This includes things you can use for recreation at the beach, such as a ball and barbecue set. You will also be given a manual that lists the items that can be purchased with these points. The manual also provides a guide for living in the wilderness, such as how to make a campfire, how to set up a tent, and further explanations of the test rules. In short, with good management, you can enjoy your days on this island using these points."

"So, that means we can do whatever we want with the points?" Togashi muttered. "We can buy anything listed in the manual, right? Hm... That doesn't sound so bad."

"It's too soon to be happy," Sawatari reprimanded. "This is a test, so it can't be that easy... 300 points might not be enough for a week."

"Right," Ikeda nodded in agreement. "Surely, the allocation of these points is part of the test."

Ikeda's opinion proved to be true from what Takada-sensei said afterward. "...Of course, there are some rules that you must follow during this test. Also, remember that after this test ends, the remaining points you have will be added to your class points. The point changes will take effect after the end of the summer vacation."

Suddenly, silence returned. All we heard was the sound of the wind, birds, and waves. What the sensei said undoubtedly is the essence of this test. This is a great opportunity to gather a large number of class points and there's a possibility that we may even see a change in the class rankings.