Chapter 108 - Unholy Affair (II)

Blessing Day passed without incident. Yet for some reason, I was oddly uneasy, but I convinced myself it was nothing. I was Saint Valentina, cherished and worshipped by all. Everything was under my control, and soon I would be completely out of the novel's grasp.

Finally, it was almost over. The crisp cold air of New Day refreshed me, and I felt excited in the rush of preparations. Golden sunlight peeked from over the horizon, illuminating the temple in a heavenly haze. The earliest worshippers were already here, I could hear the bustle from the courtyards, and it would not be long before the ceremony began.

I was in my bedchamber, savouring these last moments of peace, when a frantic knock came at my door. Annoyed at the impudence, but considerate of the fact that the junior priests that served me here were after all priests and not servants, I merely frowned when the girl that usually attended me bursted in.

"Apologies, Your Holiness, but there is something you ought to see."

"Can it not wait?"

"I would not be here if it could, Your Holiness."

The girl was one of ours, personally picked and trained by Zoe, who I trusted in producing competent subordinates. We had a network of eyes throughout the temple, and I'd rather rely on them than the temple. I got up.

She swiftly led me through halls and passages I knew from maps, towards the exterior portion of the temple that was open to visitors, but a secluded region I had never explored. The clamour slowly faded as we got further away from where most of the temple's population was gathered and busying away. It could not be an ambush, for the temple had been thoroughly vetted and was fit with the best security in the kingdom for the occasion, and the girl herself I could overpower easily. Nevertheless, I was tense.

At last, she brought me to a small open courtyard. I winced at the bright sunlight, was concerned that I might not make it back in time for the ceremony, and shivered in the cold air. However, physical comforts were quickly forgotten when I saw what was in the courtyard. Or rather, who.

- - -

Catherine arrived at the temple early with Father, who was still distraught from the argument with Lady Bryant, the guilt of which she bore heavily and miserably. Perhaps Lady Bryant was right. She and Lady Briana were his real family, and she was just some girl he picked off the street.

No, she couldn't think like that! Catherine shook herself as they entered the great chamber. Father had already given up so much for her that she must be brave and make him proud, however impossible that may seem at the present.

"Go find a place for us, Catherine. I'll be with you shortly."

Father did not look at her when he spoke, his attention captured by Lady Bryant and Lady Briana, who were already praying faithfully across the room. He went to them, and she, with a pang to her heart, stood still awkwardly for a moment. Before she could set out on her task, much to her surprise, a priest approached her.

"Please come this way, Lady Catherine. Someone wishes to see you."

Her eyes widened. Who could possibly want to see her? Especially in her current state... she recoiled whenever she saw her own skin or reflection in the mirror. Still, priests were the messengers of God, so they probably knew better than her. She glanced over at Father, but he was completely engrossed with his family and she didn't think he'd be worried, so she nodded.

The priest led her to a doorway, and gestured for her to enter. He retreated as she did and closed the door after her, which made her nervous. She found herself in a small courtyard with a stone fountain in the middle, its water frozen, and a tall familiar figure standing next to it.