Chapter 39 - The Female Lead's Stepmother

It was concerningly easy to stalk a baroness.

Baron Bryant presented his house as fairly neutral at the moment, while keeping a low profile. His wife, grudgingly, did the same. She associated with a small group of ladies that were friends to their house, none very important.

The baroness complained frequently of how her husband wouldn't let her dress lavishly and insisted on being inconspicuous, though she loved him wholeheartedly. She looked down on everyone of a lower status than her, sometimes including her so-called friends, while kissing up to those above. Her life's dream was to be the center of attention in high society.

"Good work, Zoe."

"Thank you, my lady."

Like most nobles and myself, Baroness Bryant didn't pay attention to maids, and didn't even notice when Zoe served her and her friends tea instead of the usual girl, who 'conveniently' twisted her ankle. Zoe was scarily good at this, with a report more detailed than anything I'd ever hope to write, identifying a pattern that calculated the baroness's schedule down to the minute. I wished I could clone her and send one to spy on the female lead when the time came.

"The gift is ready?"

"Yes, my lady. The jeweller sent it over earlier."

"Then we strike tomorrow."

I went to find Mother and told her the details of my plan. She agreed with mild surprise, and the next afternoon we strolled down a particular hallway in the castle, just in time to meet a certain baroness, who was alone and going from her room to tea with her friends.

As the female lead's stepmother, she was fairly attractive, making the best of her features. She had blonde hair and blue eyes, like the daughter she would later give birth to. But as a side character, she couldn't outshine the main leads, and so she was almost plain compared to those I knew, like myself.

She dressed simply with little accessories, as expected. To a trained eye as my own, it was obvious from the way she carried herself that she was of common birth, despite her efforts. The female lead would likely be the same, so no wonder she would be noticeable to the male leads.

"Why, aren't you Baroness Bryant?"

I spoke first, because people were naturally more trusting of children, and to delight her that even kids knew who she was. Her eyes widened, because everyone knew who we were, and her posture instantly shifted in an attempt to be more graceful, though not too successfully.

"I am, indeed. Good afternoon, Your Grace, Lady Valentina."

"And a fine afternoon it is, Lady Bryant. Mother, I've always heard that Lady Bryant is an extremely elegant lady, and it seems those rumours are quite true."

Elegance was the one thing she absolutely craved, but could never match the level of us who were raised with it as children. Presently, Mother and I, who were known as the definition of elegance, were complimenting her. And to top it off, there were good rumours about her!

People, especially those with large egos, heard what they wanted to hear, sometimes ignoring how impossible it was and willingly basking in sweet lies. The baroness blushed and smiled. She might've thanked me or she might've not, but Mother replied to me before she could.

"It does! I've long wanted to become dear friends with Lady Bryant, but she kept declining my invitations. It's made me rather sad."

Mother turned slightly, like the heroine of a tragedy. It was a bit overdramatic, and Mother enjoyed it a tad too much, but it worked like a charm.