Chapter 44 - My Dear Brother

Time flew by, and the time for Damian to return to the academy came too fast. We decided to spend a whole day together before he had to go, starting with a cheery breakfast and plans for the rest of the day.

"Say, shall we go skating? We haven't done that in a while."

"Sounds good. I bet you're still clumsy as a goose, not like those ladies they call swans."

"If I'm a goose, what are you? A chicken?"

Damian laughed, a musical sound that couldn't have made his status as a male lead any more obvious. His flattery in public and the teasing reserved only for those close to him, not forgetting his face, were what made him so charming, and what would earn him his name as a playboy.

We finished breakfast and headed towards the small lake behind the castle, hand in hand, our servants carrying our skates. On the way there, we met a certain individual that was more than happy to see my brother, but whose warmth went unanswered.

"Damian, you haven't come to see me at all! I thought you forgot about me, and I was so hurt!"

Kyle ran to greet us and tried to embrace Damian, unsuccessfully, as he crashed straight into a magic barrier. He took a few steps back, wincing and massaging his head. Damian removed the barrier with a flick of his hand and snorted.

"Oh, right, you exist. Who are you again?"

"Just your only friend in the world, no big deal."

"I don't recall being friends with a mage that doesn't know to protect himself instinctually. First lesson at the academy, remember?"

"Of course I do! But not everyone is as coldhearted as you, and I got excited. Who would expect you to block out your best friend!"

Damian shook his head, sighing, but he couldn't keep back a smile. From what he told me of his days at the academy, Kyle was truly his friend, and they cared about each other immensely. I was happy for my brother to have someone like him.

Kyle spotted me and grinned. We weren't that close, though I had seen him a few times with Damian, and he had the manners to kiss the back of my hand.

"Good to see you again, Lady Valentina. In a few days, Damian will be all mine, and complaining about how he misses you."

I laughed. No matter what, Kyle had a good-natured demeanor, and I could see why my brother liked him. On the other hand, Damian scowled.

"Leave my sister alone. It's bad enough she's betrothed, at least it's not to a bastard like you. Let's go, Val."

Though my parents and I had discussed with Damian about my betrothal, and he had reluctantly agreed not to be too upset, he clearly wasn't very happy. Kyle looked genuinely surprised and slightly injured, unused to this side of him.

That wouldn't do. In the novel, Damian threw away his life for the female lead, but I wasn't about to let him do that to his best friend for me. Besides, Kyle was funny.

"We're going skating, Lord Kyle. Do you want to come with us?"

"Absolutely! You're the best, Lady Valentina. No wonder Damian loves you so much."

That comment didn't make Damian's glower any better. He took my arm for attention.

"Do we have to? Can't it just be us?"

"Please? He's your friend. I want you to be nice to him."

"Fine, only for you. And stop looking at me like that."

I had activated the irresistible pleading gaze Mother taught me without even noticing. I nodded, smirking, knowing that I had him wrapped around my fingers.