Chapter 14 - Priests for a Fake Saint

I recognized one of the priests. He was Priest Norman, the one that lived in and took care of our chapel. A kind and elderly man, his hair was white, and his countenance mild. He gave no hint of what the others were doing here, and I doubted that he knew.

The other priest at the front was younger, but the symbol on his robe had a slightly more complicated design, marking him as a senior priest when it came to importance. He wore a confident but sly smile.

The ones following him were only apprentices, again by the design of their robes. They had likely served the senior priest on their way here, as part of their training or whatnot. At least we admitted that our servants were servants.

The appearance of these priests were definitely unusual. Priest Norman may have come to give Damian a blessing before he left, but that was no occasion to attract a senior priest. Besides, it would be an understatement to say that mages and the temple did not get along.

"Greetings to the Grand Duke of Avington and his family. I am Priest Fernandez, and I was hoping to grant the young lord a blessing for his time at the academy, on behalf of the temple."

The senior priest bowed only his head. As priests, they did not have to greet us properly, though most showed more respect than his tone conveyed. I didn't trust him at all.

There was definitely an ulterior motive. Neither scholars nor mages were part of the temple's faction, and especially not an Avington. And if he had really come to give a blessing, why had he not sent a letter to inform us beforehand, unless they didn't want people to know he was coming?

"It would be an honour. Thank you for your graciousness."

Damian's reply was curt and polite, as expected of a child of House Avington. Unfortunately, it would be considered rude to refuse a blessing.

The man went to Damian. He gently placed two fingers on his forehead and closed his eyes. In the holy language, he recited a prayer. Even though I did not understand the words, I had to admit it sounded impressive.

The priest soon finished and stepped back. Damian delivered the appropriate response, his tone flat.

"Thank you, Heavenly Priest."

He looked to Father, whose features betrayed no emotion. This was now the Grand Duke, who measured his every action carefully, in the world of politics where one wrong step could cause the demise of a family. He gave a small nod to Damian.

"Go on. Goodbye."

"Goodbye, Father, Mother, Sister."

Damian gave us one last look, then he turned and boarded the carriage. I watched as it drove away, getting smaller in the distance until it vanished out of sight.

"You must have had a difficult journey, Priest Fernandez. Please come in for a cup of tea."

Mother was warm and every bit of a cordial host, while Father remained expressionless and imposing. It was a tactic they used to lure our guests into a full sense of security, like good cop and bad cop. However, the priest merely smiled.

"I most humbly thank Your Grace for your kindness. Nevertheless, I was hoping to converse with His Grace privately."

"Ah, is that so? In that case, I shall have tea sent up to the parlour."

"Thank you very much."

In the brief exchange, there had been a swift and silent battle, in which Mother won. As the mistress of the house, she easily decided the room the priest was going to have his meeting at. He couldn't complain, since it would have been rude to oppose his host twice. Besides, he didn't know there was anything special about the parlour.