Chapter 45 - The Female Lead's Best Friend

In the novel, the female lead had exactly one girl friend. After all, it was a romance novel, and the side characters' had little purpose outside making the protagonist look good and advancing her love story.

Sophia Newfield was exactly that. She was a shy girl that debuted the same year as Catherine, but of noble birth, who first helped her navigate high society, and was later a consultant to her conflicted feelings regarding the male leads. Like with Tia, saying that she worshiped Catherine would be an understatement.

'Thank god pink hair isn't too common...'

The truth was I had forgotten her name, since she basically disappeared from the novel once the romance got intense. Everyone, including the author, likely forgot about her, and it wasn't until now that I realized she was one of the only things I hadn't taken away from the female lead yet. I liked to do things completely.

As the heroine's friend, she was obliged to look unique, hence the pink hair, but mild enough that she wouldn't steal the spotlight, hence the personality. I had remembered two things about her, her hair colour and that she was the daughter of a countess. Zoe cross-referenced that with girls the appropriate age, and the one resulting name rang a bell, so she was hopefully the right one.

Thus, a tea party invitation was sent, and the meek little girl presented herself.

"H-hello, Lady Valentina. T-thank you, um, for inviting me."

She was dressed simply, a far cry from all my friends and myself. As usual, my clique stared in disbelief wondering why I would possibly do this, but didn't question me, reaching their own interpretations of my intentions.

"Welcome, Lady Sophia. Make yourself comfortable."

She had the natural poise of a child who had been raised as a noble since birth, but that was as far as it went. As time went on, she practically faded into the background, and I almost forgot about her presence.

It was a slow afternoon, and at one point, the conversation came to a lull. The instincts of my friends and I to create any drama possible kicked in, starting with Annalise, who knew me best.

"Lady Sophia, was it? Pardon me, but wasn't the last time the dress you're wearing was popular thirty years ago?"

A round of giggling ensued, and the girl flushed bright red. My other friends joined in.

"That necklace looks familiar. I think I've seen it passing by a store for commoners."

"Her hair colour is beautiful, it's such a shame her face doesn't match."

"I know, right? Why, she's been quiet as a mouse. Do you think she's forgotten how to speak?"

"It wouldn't surprise me. Or perhaps she's just naturally slow, I heard it runs in the family."

I had done it before, frequently, inviting girls to our tea parties so my friends and I could have fun tearing them apart, so it was no surprise they thought this was what I was doing again. However, I hadn't done it at all this year, since now I had to bear my reputation in mind, and I doubted I could resist the temptation.

Sophia's eyes were welling up with tears, and she hurriedly wiped them away. I had forgotten how fun this was, and it took everything in me, every last bit of restraint, to not burst out laughing. It was pure torture, not being able to be myself in front of my friends, the only people I had left.

The poor girl met my eyes, silently pleading for help. I sighed, pained, and reminded myself a thousand times why I was doing this. For my future, to destroy the female lead, and to completely remove all obstacles. The suffering would be temporary.